• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Cam Newton Mediocre to Below-Average?

FantasyBelowZero

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam Newton is the highest paid NON-playoff winning QB in history. I wonder if he can break the 20 touchdown passes barrier this year?
He has definitely played average. I still think he should be a starting QB though because he is better than the options that were available (Brian Hoyer, Josh McCown, Michael Vick, etc.)

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Newton is a solid QB in a terrible offense.

Carolina's offense outside of the QB position has been one of the league's bottom 5 units for years now.

Their OL is pathetic, their receiving core is bad, and their RB core was always hurt and not very good even when healthy (the biggest waste of money in the NFL for 3 or 4 years straight was the Carolina backfield).

Cam is a fine QB and he still has the potential to be one of the best in the league if Carolina can get their offense up to par and get a better coaching.

If I am Cam I don't sign an extension with the Panthers and just play out my franchise tags. The organization is simply too cheap and stupid to think things are ever going to change there.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ducky...did a good job of breaking this down.

IMO...he's better than average.

Cam has never been equipped to put up great numbers in terms of weapons, yet his numbers are always decent. IMO...he's the best 2 way QB in the league today...yes, better than RW.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if he can break the 20 touchdown passes barrier this year?

He might. Back in 2011 he threw 21 TD passes & in 2014 he threw 24.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QUOTE="Deacon, post: 5761442
Based on the results after they leave I can only assume there is a pretty significant lack of coaching up the players in Carolina. Branden Lafell was horrible in Carolina. He probably led the league in drops and was so inconsistent that he couldn't be counted on. Now he seems like a beast in NE. Smith is also having a renaissance in Baltimore.

It may all be Cam's fault but I don't see how those players have such a drastic change simply because the person throwing the ball to them changed.[/QUOTE]
Some QBs throw a different ball that receivers seem to catch better. Lafelll had a nice season in NE. Certainly better then Carolina. But beast? That's a little much. TB and that coaching staff has a way of making decent WRs very good in their system.
I'm not a fan of Cam. Too flamboyant for me. Not sure what his work out and studying program is? But if he's not doing things like TB, PM or even RW meaning working with his Oline and recivers during the off season? Then maybe that's why he's a middle of the Pack QB?

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam Newton is the highest paid NON-playoff winning QB in history. I wonder if he can break the 20 touchdown passes barrier this year?

I would have thought it was Andy Dalton

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a believer in the pistol type qb, they never seem to be more than slightly above average and do not mature into a consistent high caliber qb....
RW is the only 1 I've seen that is showing consistency but he is not the typical pistol prototype....
He is looking at all options to throw first except for a few designed run plays, while the others are making 2 reads and run anywhere they can....
RW isn't out of the woods yet, 2 good years does not make a great qb, he has to continue to be considered an elite qb, and remain healthy ,but he is by far the best of that type....
Non of the others could be considered a franchise qb IMO. :2cents:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a believer in the pistol type qb, they never seem to be more than slightly above average and do not mature into a consistent high caliber qb....
RW is the only 1 I've seen that is showing consistency but he is not the typical pistol prototype....
He is looking at all options to throw first except for a few designed run plays, while the others are making 2 reads and run anywhere they can....
RW isn't out of the woods yet, 2 good years does not make a great qb, he has to continue to be considered an elite qb, and remain healthy ,but he is by far the best of that type....
Non of the others could be considered a franchise qb IMO. :2cents:

I'm not either, but imo teams do themselves a disservice trying to run the read option at the NFL level. Depends on the QBs skillset, they will have some success, but it will be short lived...the DEF talent is too good.

At the same time, dual threat QBs work in the read option, and it's likely to stay that way for a while in CFB.

I did a down and dirty list of teams that imo have a clearcut better option at QB.

NFCE...DAL, NYG
NFCS...ATL, NO
NFCN...GB, DET
NFCW...SEA

AFCE...NE, MIA?
AFCS...IND
AFCN...BAL, PIT
AFCW...DEN, SD

Obviously this list is debatable. Based on this I would say Cam is right around the middle of the league.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Cam isn't average, who is?

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim Tebow has a playoff win.

051667492_automotivator_blind_squirrel_xlarge.jpeg

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim Tebow has a playoff win.

What? Where did Tebow come from G&G? I was quoting someone saying that Newton is the highest paid non playing winning QB out there, and I said that I thought it was Dalton who hasn't won one. And then you mention a QB who won 1, I am lost now

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As to the other observations, Cam is way above average as a runner/athlete, and that helps a lot with the lack of playmakers around him, and a suspect OL. But he's got to get more accurate. The main problems are throwing everything on-a-rope, and missing routine tosses TBrady can make in his sleep.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did a down and dirty list of teams that imo have a clearcut better option at QB.

NFCE...DAL, NYG
NFCS...ATL, NO
NFCN...GB, DET
NFCW...SEA

AFCE...NE, MIA?
AFCS...IND
AFCN...BAL, PIT
AFCW...DEN, SD

Obviously this list is debatable. Based on this I would say Cam is right around the middle of the league.

You can comfortably add the Bucs and Vikings.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Panthers beat the Cardinals in the wildcard game on Jan. 3. Cam started, played whole game: Arizona Cardinals vs Carolina Panthers - Recap

But Zona had their backup qb in there, so that is not a good measuring stick.....
They got whomped the next game by Seattle 31-17
They have some great players on that team, but Cam is not one of them.
They shouldn't even had been there with 7 wins 8 losses and 1 tie, atrocious....:L

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Zona had their backup qb in there, so that is not a good measuring stick.....
They got whomped the next game by Seattle 31-17
They have some great players on that team, but Cam is not one of them.
They shouldn't even had been there with 7 wins 8 losses and 1 tie, atrocious....:L
Waddya mean they shouldn't have been in there? CAR won the division, and the rules say they're in. And not only did the Panthers win, but every team that's ever gotten in with a losing record has won their first-round game. You're not making sense, here.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Waddya mean they shouldn't have been in there? CAR won the division, and the rules say they're in. And not only did the Panthers win, but every team that's ever gotten in with a losing record has won their first-round game. You're not making sense, here.

That needs to change, teams that won 9 and 10 games didn't get in, just because that division was atrocious last year and 7 wins and a tie won the division....
You know if they had won 10 games and missed the playoffs and some one with 7 wins got in, you would agree it's a stupid rule and needs to be changed....
And they beat a team with a scrub at qb but got stomped when they met a good team the very next game...
A 7 win team is not competition for a good team, plain and simple, and you saw that last yr....
I like Ron and some of those players but we're talking about your qb, and his ability to win or not...:rolleyes2:

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ducky...did a good job of breaking this down.

IMO...he's better than average.

Cam has never been equipped to put up great numbers in terms of weapons, yet his numbers are always decent. IMO...he's the best 2 way QB in the league today...yes, better than RW.

My opinion will disagree with your opinion on this. Without trying to sound too much like a homer, RW's Seahawks are 4-0 against Cam's Panther's. 3-0 in Carolina. Yes, Seattle has a better running game and a little better D but Carolina's D is no slouch.
Cam cannot create as well as Russell and he does not have quite the escape ability that RW has. Accuracy is another advantage in Russell's favor. RW beats Cam in Leadership quality, maturity, and lacks any pompous attitude.
Cam is a larger, more powerful athlete and once in the grasp is harder-by far- to bring down.
RW has the "IT" factor. Cam does not.
RW>CN by a big margin.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. They won the division thereby earning a home playoff game.