• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Cam Newton Mediocre to Below-Average?

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Passing completion % can be misleading. I want to see the completion % next to WR drops.

I remember one season, McNabb had the worse completion % in the NFL. Same comments were being said about him. On "Inside the NFL", Chris Carter talked about how those receivers dropped a lot of passes, and in order to be considered a drop, the football has to touch both hands. He said once the WRs start catching the ball, McNabb will look like one of NFL's best QBs by the end of the season.

Well, he was right. Ever since then, I've viewed the completion % as very misleading without the # of drops.

But I don't think Newton was ever considered elite. I've never heard his name next to Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, or Aaron Rodgers. I think he is a good QB that injuries has slowed his progress. If he continues to get injured, he will be average, or maybe above average at best. If he stays healthy, he could very likely be a great NFL QB.

Last edited by a moderator:

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Newton is exceptionally physically talented, but he doesn't have the necessary tools between the ears to ever come close to "elite".

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was 10 for 28 last night ...that is a 35% completion ...It's not a typo

0 TD's and 1 Int (ints not really his fault.) 151 yards.

I think it will be very hard for Cam to stay in the NFL

I disagree with that. Cam didn't play well last night, but he is still a better alternative than about half the QBs in the league (i.e., he is pretty average).

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's safe to say the Panthers management hasn't done him any favors this season whatsoever.

Yeah the GM should be fired for running out that offense around Cam.

Cam is a fine NFL QB. He has his issues but his overall ability puts him close to the top 10 in QB's in this league.

You put a Jay Cutler, Tony Romo, Matt Stafford, Matt Ryan, ect on this Carolina offense with no OL and not enough passing targets and they throw 25+ INT's in a season. Actually they wouldn't throw that many INT's because they wouldn't survive the season behind that OL and with absolutely no threat of a running game.

I think it will be very hard for Cam to stay in the NFL.

:L

Cam when given time has one of the best arms in the league. Even as he ages and can't run quite as much, if they put more weapons around him, he is going to be a starting QB in this league.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I picked Carolina last night. Ugh.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...although all that said, the GM does get a big gold star for Kelvin Benjamin. Kid is going to be a legit #1 WR in a few years right up there but just a knotch below WR's like AJ Green, Dez Bryant or Demaryus Thomas types.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...although all that said, the GM does get a big gold star for Kelvin Benjamin. Kid is going to be a legit #1 WR in a few years right up there but just a knotch below WR's like AJ Green, Dez Bryant or Demaryus Thomas types.

Benjamin has definitely got the physical skills. For the most part last night, however, he seemed to have a hard time getting opened and Keenan Lewis got the better of him several times. Based on that small sample (I admittedly haven't seen him play much this year), I'd say that he is a bit like Cam in the sense that both have great physical skills, but both have some work to do.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with that. Cam didn't play well last night, but he is still a better alternative than about half the QBs in the league (i.e., he is pretty average).

Well...he did have a bad game last night...a 60% passer in general and they don't throw a lot a dink type routes...more down field...I just think you have to ditch the college plays that expose the QB to hits, and get him another weapon....they don't throw to the RBs much.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...he did have a bad game last night...a 60% passer in general and they don't throw a lot a dink type routes...more down field...I just think you have to ditch the college plays that expose the QB to hits, and get him another weapon....they don't throw to the RBs much.

That's an interesting point. Seems to me that Stewart, Williams, and Tolbert (who I guess is hurt) have all shown in the past that they can be pretty effective catching the ball.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't looked at the YTD stats, but 28 attempts last night...1 target to a RB...complete for 30 yds.

The whole OFC is just whacked imo.

Deacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last nite's game was a pretty good microcosm of what Cam is in general. He missed some throws which you can only blame on him. Especially the overthrow to Benjamin in the endzone. But at crucial points in the game his receivers just flat out dropped the ball. A couple drops on 3rd down were really harsh. The run game was non existent and didn't help in selling the play action so it was hard to get anything open in the middle of the field.

With the missed passes, drops and penalties it makes it very hard for Carolina to get into any kind of rhythm on offense and we all know rhythm is very important for an offense. NO couldn't get into any rhythm for most of the first half but right before halftime they got a few plays to work and they were in sync the rest of the nite. Without rhythm it is very hard for any QB to put a sting of completions together and maintain a drive.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last nite's game was a pretty good microcosm of what Cam is in general. He missed some throws which you can only blame on him. Especially the overthrow to Benjamin in the endzone. But at crucial points in the game his receivers just flat out dropped the ball. A couple drops on 3rd down were really harsh. The run game was non existent and didn't help in selling the play action so it was hard to get anything open in the middle of the field.

With the missed passes, drops and penalties it makes it very hard for Carolina to get into any kind of rhythm on offense and we all know rhythm is very important for an offense. NO couldn't get into any rhythm for most of the first half but right before halftime they got a few plays to work and they were in sync the rest of the nite. Without rhythm it is very hard for any QB to put a sting of completions together and maintain a drive.

Two things I noticed: I thought he seemed to be trying to force the ball to Benjamin and not just looking for the open receiver. A couple times he made mid to deep throws where he had open men underneath on short crossers that were open. The other thing is that he seems to lack any touch on his throws. He had some drops that probably should have been caught, but he doesn't help his receivers when he is chucking missiles to guys only 10 yards away. He doesn't always need to throw the fastball. Kaepernick also does this in my opinion. It's great to have a big arm and it can be a nice weapon, but sometimes a touch pass is far more effective.

Deacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, and some of his misses were just inexcusable. Touch is important and necessary but a WR at the professional level should catch a ball that hits them squarely in both hands regardless of the touch put on the pass.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to think Newton had "it".

But these days he most definitely does not.

Running the ball he's as good as it gets.

But....

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Anyone see this? :omg:

Last edited by a moderator:

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to think Newton had "it".

But these days he most definitely does not.

Running the ball he's as good as it gets.

But....
Maybe they should move him to RB.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Cam's defense, his receivers need to come down with some of those long balls. Cotchery in last night's game is a prime example of that. Olsen is a solid option and Benjamin looks like he'll be a quality wideout but they could really benefit from a top 2 receiver.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Cam's defense, his receivers need to come down with some of those long balls. Cotchery in last night's game is a prime example of that. Olsen is a solid option and Benjamin looks like he'll be a quality wideout but they could really benefit from a top 2 receiver.

Like a Steve Smith?