• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Wimbledon (and grass court tournies) thread

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And for the record I think Venus is going to win tomorrow.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i won't watch, but i will hope that serena is able to hold her emotions together enough to win, because venus has zero chance of winning the title.

Considering the rest of the field, I'm not sure how you can say that. With the possible exception of Sharapova, I think Venus would be favored over everyone else left on grass. Although at this point, I'd say there is a >50% chance Serena wins the title. The threat of Kvitova was the only thing from Serena from being the runaway pick and that is gone now.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt. Serena always bounces back the reason she won the FO.

Yeah but Venus isn't going to fold in the big moments as Serena opponents tend to do if it gets to that point tomorrow. If Venus is up a break or especially a double break in the final set, Serena is not coming back to win the match.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but Venus isn't going to fold in the big moments as Serena opponents tend to do if it gets to that point tomorrow. If Venus is up a break or especially a double break in the final set, Serena is not coming back to win the match.

I am sure Serena also knows her sister very well.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anybody really think Venus wants to stop Serena from winning the calendar-year Grand Slam. I think Serena is the better grass court player at this stage in their career anyways, but I really feel like there is a monumental difference in motivation to win.

Venus will always be remembered as a great grass-courter who was a step beneath Serena and Henin on the other surfaces. Winning the title would be a great achievement at her age, but I don't think it really changes that legacy at all. If Serena wins the Grand Slam, it has huge impact on her career and makes it very tough to argue that she isn't the greatest player of all-time.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a reason why Venus only made it past the 3rd round of a major 2 times in 4.5 years.

Venus has zero chance of winning a major ever again. The horrific second serve will make it impossible. I'm surprised she doesn't have a persistent neck injury from the way she jerks her head down.

I agree that she could win tomorrow, though, and it will have little to do with tennis.

If Serena even plays at 70%, it should be more than enough for her to win.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haas was blown out the first 2 sets.

Next 2 sets went to tiebreakers.

Glad Haas put up a fight, in his loss to Raonic.

How about Cilic needing a 7-5 5th set to beat Ricardas Berankis? Match point was on a double-fault, needing HawkEye to confirm.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isner-Cilic:

Isner loses 12-10 in the 5th set. He lost the match on a double fault. He had only 3 the entire match, and 2 in that final game.

He also only had 1 break of serve in that match, and it was when he was down 0-3 in the 5th.

I feel for him, because he loses so many of these extended 5th sets.

It's also his fault for not being better at breaking. But still, he does the best he can.

Tsonga is also out.

I'm thinking Tsonga is past his prime. He made the AO Finals in 2008.

He's 30.

2010-2013 were his best years IMO.

Karlovic also gets a lucky non-call double hit on Tsonga's set point in the 4th. Karlovic would win the 4th set in a tiebreaker.

Maybe I'm wrong, and Tsonga has a few more cracks at getting to the SF or Finals of another major.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Azarenka hasn't been a factor at a major in nearly 2 years.

Bringing up Ferrer compared to the number of sex shriekers/moaners on the WTA tour is absurd.

I agree the WTA has more moaners. Just thought a few on the ATP get underlooked. Nadal is also loud.

Fair enough point about Azarenka.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pretty crazy how few rainouts there have been. looks like moving it a week later set it up for even drier weather. pretty good for fans!

LOL!

I agree it's good for tennis fans though. But funny if moving it a week back means less rain, and thus less use of the roof.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Middle Sunday off is probably the stupidest thing ever in Tennis

Some think it keeps the players fresher.

But I disagree.

Especially those that have to play matches on Monday, then Tuesday (the women).

There's also so many matches on Monday, that if there's rain, it gets hard to fit everything in. And there will probably be some suspended matches after that, to be resumed on Tuesday.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Likewise. Fuck Middle Sunday.

I miss tennis so much that I just went ahead and purchased my US Open Tickets:yes:

UiI71sQ.gif

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anybody really think Venus wants to stop Serena from winning the calendar-year Grand Slam. I think Serena is the better grass court player at this stage in their career anyways, but I really feel like there is a monumental difference in motivation to win.

Venus will always be remembered as a great grass-courter who was a step beneath Serena and Henin on the other surfaces. Winning the title would be a great achievement at her age, but I don't think it really changes that legacy at all. If Serena wins the Grand Slam, it has huge impact on her career and makes it very tough to argue that she isn't the greatest player of all-time.
I think Venus wants to win the match.

I don't think Venus cares as much how others remember her. I think she wants to win another major for herself. Whether she can is a different story, but I think she'll try her best.

Take it for what it's worth, but in 2010, when she was the # 2 player, she still talked wanting to be # 1 again, and also talked about how Serena had an AO and FO that Venus didn't have. A little bit of that sibling dynamic IMO.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a reason why Venus only made it past the 3rd round of a major 2 times in 4.5 years.

Venus has zero chance of winning a major ever again. The horrific second serve will make it impossible. I'm surprised she doesn't have a persistent neck injury from the way she jerks her head down.

I agree that she could win tomorrow, though, and it will have little to do with tennis.

If Serena even plays at 70%, it should be more than enough for her to win.

Do you really mean horrific 2nd serve; or horrific for what Venus used to be able to do (i.e. per her standards)?

I wouldn't give Venus a 0% chance, but say it's slim.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And for the record I think Venus is going to win tomorrow.

Pre-tourney, I had Serena.

Now, I think Venus has a good shot. I don't want to make a pick, although I'd like to see her win, especially if she can get the title afterward.

Whether she'll win because of Serena's nerves, or on Venus' own merit, I guess we'll see.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you really mean horrific 2nd serve; or horrific for what Venus used to be able to do (i.e. per her standards)?

I wouldn't give Venus a 0% chance, but say it's slim.
her 2nd serve has always had a weird jerking motion to it, but it was still effective up until about 5 years ago.

the motion is even worse now, and her toss and contact points are extremely inconsistent. she doesn't get the velocity she used to get on it, either, and the same is true to a lesser extent even with her 1st serve.

tomorrow isn't about tennis at all, really, though. more about nerves.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gasquet - Krygios could be interesting.

Bercych - Simon, for the styles.

Maybe Wozniacki - Muguruza too.