• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's off season and I'm bored....

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so I want to stir up trouble by talking SOS and W/L records.

We have seen how the regular season SOS can affect a team’s post-season prospects (see Baylor). Obviously, teams play different opponents both IN and OUT of conference. Some people complain about the use of SOS because a team’s IN conference schedule is “not negotiable”. This is not entirely true; UF chose to play LSU and Auburn every year from the west division and now chooses to play LSU every year from the west; Michigan chooses to play OSU every year; and FSU chooses to play Miami every year. A second complaint is “Well, they were good when we scheduled them.” Too bad. Because schedules are often made up to 10 years out, teams need to look at what a potential opponents is like over a span of years and not “hot now”. It’s the same reason brokers look at 30 or 65 day moving averages in stocks. There are only 20 teams that have been ranked 50% or more of the time over the past 25 seasons. There are 108 teams ranked less than 50 % (on average FAR less than 50%). A final argument against SOS is that if team A is the best team in their conference then the other teams benefit from playing Team A, but team A then has a poorer SOS because they can’t play themselves in football. Wah, wah, wah.

With these points in mind let’s do a little SOS analysis over the past 25 seasons but looking at just the regular season (no Bowls or CCG’s). Here is a great link which lists teams Overall record, vs AP 1-5, vs AP 6-10, vs AP 11-15, vs AP 16-20, vs AP 21-25, and vs unranked opponents.

http://www.sportshoop.la/cfbt_recor...=on&nbowl=on&nccg=on&allop=1&cres=1&scrview=7

One can break down the unranked opponents into 3 groups, unranked majors, unranked non-majors, College Football Trivia

and FCS teams.College Football Trivia

Clicking on the links one can see a VAST difference in scheduling.

E.g., Florida has played 12 FCS foes, OSU has played 3, while ND, USC and UCLA have played NONE over the past 25 seasons.

Conversely, UF has played 32 AP Top 5 teams (final rankings), OSU has played 9, ND and UCLA have played 19 and USC has played 18.

What if it were possible for all teams to play the same schedule at least on paper? How much would the team W/L records change?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so I want to stir up trouble by talking SOS and W/L records.

We have seen how the regular season SOS can affect a team’s post-season prospects (see Baylor). Obviously, teams play different opponents both IN and OUT of conference. Some people complain about the use of SOS because a team’s IN conference schedule is “not negotiable”. This is not entirely true; UF chose to play LSU and Auburn every year from the west division and now chooses to play LSU every year from the west; Michigan chooses to play OSU every year; and FSU chooses to play Miami every year. A second complaint is “Well, they were good when we scheduled them.” Too bad. Because schedules are often made up to 10 years out, teams need to look at what a potential opponents is like over a span of years and not “hot now”. It’s the same reason brokers look at 30 or 65 day moving averages in stocks. There are only 20 teams that have been ranked 50% or more of the time over the past 25 seasons. There are 108 teams ranked less than 50 % (on average FAR less than 50%). A final argument against SOS is that if team A is the best team in their conference then the other teams benefit from playing Team A, but team A then has a poorer SOS because they can’t play themselves in football. Wah, wah, wah.

With these points in mind let’s do a little SOS analysis over the past 25 seasons but looking at just the regular season (no Bowls or CCG’s). Here is a great link which lists teams Overall record, vs AP 1-5, vs AP 6-10, vs AP 11-15, vs AP 16-20, vs AP 21-25, and vs unranked opponents.

College Football Trivia

One can break down the unranked opponents into 3 groups, unranked majors, unranked non-majors, College Football Trivia

and FCS teams.College Football Trivia

Clicking on the links one can see a VAST difference in scheduling.

E.g., Florida has played 12 FCS foes, OSU has played 3, while ND, USC and UCLA have played NONE over the past 25 seasons.

Conversely, UF has played 32 AP Top 5 teams (final rankings), OSU has played 9, ND and UCLA have played 19 and USC has played 18.

What if it were possible for all teams to play the same schedule at least on paper? How much would the team W/L records change?
Just curious, how many of those 32 top 5 opponents were OOC and not named Florida State or Miami?

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious, how many of those 32 top 5 opponents were OOC and not named Florida State or Miami?

ZERO. Why does that matter? 17 of the games were in-conference and 15 were OOC vs Miami and FSU. Also, 12 games were at home, 17 were away and 3 were in Jax vs UGa. By the way, Tallahassee is about as far Gainesville (150 mi) as South Bend is from East Lansing(155 mi) and UM is more than twice as far (342 mi). You are just hung up on the fact that they are IN Florida. Over the past 25 seasons, MSU has played two Top 5 teams that were farther away than Miami (PSU 456 mi, and Oregon 2,343 mi). Florida has played eight Top 5 teams farther away than Miami (South Carolina 357 mi, Alabama 455 mi, Tennessee 543 mi, 3x LSU 588 mi, Texas A&M 949 mi, and Missouri 1,007 mi).

Have MSU play FSU in Tallahassee or UM in Miami then talk to me about OOC games. FSU playing at home as a Top 5 team is 76-1-1 over the past 25 seasons (the loss was to Miami and the tie was to Florida). Miami is 42-1-0 as a Top 5 team at home (the loss was to Tennessee).

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ZERO. Why does that matter? 17 of the games were in-conference and 15 were OOC vs Miami and FSU. Also, 12 games were at home, 17 were away and 3 were in Jax vs UGa. By the way, Tallahassee is about as far Gainesville (150 mi) as South Bend is from East Lansing(155 mi) and UM is more than twice as far (342 mi). You are just hung up on the fact that they are IN Florida. Over the past 25 seasons, MSU has played two Top 5 teams that were farther away than Miami (PSU 456 mi, and Oregon 2,343 mi). Florida has played eight Top 5 teams farther away than Miami (South Carolina 357 mi, Alabama 455 mi, Tennessee 543 mi, 3x LSU 588 mi, Texas A&M 949 mi, and Missouri 1,007 mi).

Have MSU play FSU in Tallahassee or UM in Miami then talk to me about OOC games. FSU playing at home as a Top 5 team is 76-1-1 over the past 25 seasons (the loss was to Miami and the tie was to Florida). Miami is 42-1-0 as a Top 5 team at home (the loss was to Tennessee).
It matters because UF has not left the state for an OOC game in over 20 yrs. FSU, Miami, UM, and MSU have many times. MSU just went to Oregon last year.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also Miami is 334 miles from Hogtown. If you Drive. Which the team doesn't. They fly.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason why I ask is because Florida hasn't scheduled any of those games. They have no control over in conference games and I guess there is some law they have to play FSU every year. It was more of a curiosity thing than a knock against Florida.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason why I ask is because Florida hasn't scheduled any of those games. They have no control over in conference games and I guess there is some law they have to play FSU every year. It was more of a curiosity thing than a knock against Florida.

You are correct. There is a law that they must play each other. Take a guess as to why there is a law.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because FSU would be too chicken otherwise? Am I close?
Cold. UF never wanted to play FSU in football. They saw it as an expected win and a potential horrendous loss. 4 bills were written until the Governor got involved. A state committee forced UF to play FSU in all sports. Not a true law though.

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It matters because UF has not left the state for an OOC game in over 20 yrs. FSU, Miami, UM, and MSU have many times. MSU just went to Oregon last year.

Why is it SOOOOO important for UF to travel out of state for OOC games????? Why focus on 3 -4 games each year and ignore the other 8-9 games?

For the record, UF has traveled out of the state of Florida to play ranked teams 31 times (1 OOC and 30 In-conf), FSU has traveled out of the state of Florida to play ranked teams 28 times (7 OOC and 21 In-conf), USC has traveled out of the state of California to play ranked teams 36 times (13 OOC and 23 In-conf), OSU traveled out of the state of Ohio to play ranked teams 33 times (6 OOC and 27 In-conf), and MSU has traveled out of the state of Michigan to play ranked teams 31 times (7 OOC and 24 In-conf). UF travels out of state to play ranked opponents as much as anyone. The difference is UF also plays more away games IN-state than anyone in D1A.

UF has traveled IN the state of Florida (12x Tallahassee, 1x Miami and 17x Jax) to play ranked teams 30 times (13 OOC and 17 In-conf), FSU has traveled IN the state of Florida (10x Gainesville and 8x Miami) to play ranked teams 18 times (10 OOC and 8 In-conf), USC has traveled IN the state of California to played ranked teams 9 times (1 OOC and 8 In-conf), OSU has traveled IN the state of Ohio to played ranked teams ZERO times, and MSU has IN the state of Michigan (10x Ann Arbor) to play ranked teams 10 times (all In-conf).

Combined, UF has traveled to play ranked opponents 61 times (tops in D1A), FSU has traveled to play ranked opponents 46 times, USC has traveled to play ranked opponents 47 times, OSU has traveled to play ranked opponents 33 times, and MSU has traveled to play ranked opponents 41 times.

I don't think UF needs to improve their scheduling.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck a gator. Come out of the swamp and let's see how bad you are you bunch of pussies.

Come play us in early September when the turf sticks to your cleats because it's kinda melting. Come get a mouthful of Okie dust Nancy.

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck a gator. Come out of the swamp and let's see how bad you are you bunch of pussies.

Come play us in early September when the turf sticks to your cleats because it's kinda melting. Come get a mouthful of Okie dust Nancy.

Not much difference between Norman and Gainesville in early Sept just a bit more humid in G'ville.

Last year for Aug 31- Sept 6

Norman: Avg high temp 90: Avg mean temp 80: Avg low temp 70: Max Dew point 72: Avg Dew Point 68: Min Dew Point 61

G'ville Avg high temp 90: Avg mean temp 81: Avg low temp 70: Max Dew point 76: Avg Dew Point 73: Min Dew Point 68

Tell me again what happened the last time OU and UF played?

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it SOOOOO important for UF to travel out of state for OOC games????? Why focus on 3 -4 games each year and ignore the other 8-9 games?

For the record, UF has traveled out of the state of Florida to play ranked teams 31 times (1 OOC and 30 In-conf), FSU has traveled out of the state of Florida to play ranked teams 28 times (7 OOC and 21 In-conf), USC has traveled out of the state of California to play ranked teams 36 times (13 OOC and 23 In-conf), OSU traveled out of the state of Ohio to play ranked teams 33 times (6 OOC and 27 In-conf), and MSU has traveled out of the state of Michigan to play ranked teams 31 times (7 OOC and 24 In-conf). UF travels out of state to play ranked opponents as much as anyone. The difference is UF also plays more away games IN-state than anyone in D1A.

UF has traveled IN the state of Florida (12x Tallahassee, 1x Miami and 17x Jax) to play ranked teams 30 times (13 OOC and 17 In-conf), FSU has traveled IN the state of Florida (10x Gainesville and 8x Miami) to play ranked teams 18 times (10 OOC and 8 In-conf), USC has traveled IN the state of California to played ranked teams 9 times (1 OOC and 8 In-conf), OSU has traveled IN the state of Ohio to played ranked teams ZERO times, and MSU has IN the state of Michigan (10x Ann Arbor) to play ranked teams 10 times (all In-conf).

Combined, UF has traveled to play ranked opponents 61 times (tops in D1A), FSU has traveled to play ranked opponents 46 times, USC has traveled to play ranked opponents 47 times, OSU has traveled to play ranked opponents 33 times, and MSU has traveled to play ranked opponents 41 times.

I don't think UF needs to improve their scheduling.

Conference games and post season games don't mean shit. UF is the pussy of the "big dogs" in the SEC when it comes to OOC play. There are zero stats you can bring up to disprove this. They have not left the state or played on any day but Saturday since that ass whooping by Syracuse. Just because the SEC gets teams ranked higher than they should be every year doesn't mean dick.

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conference games and post season games don't mean shit.
???? Typical Nole- Can't read. In the OP, I stated "(no Bowls or CCG’s)"!

UF is the pussy of the "big dogs" in the SEC when it comes to OOC play. There are zero stats you can bring up to disprove this. They have not left the state or played on any day but Saturday since that ass whooping by Syracuse. Just because the SEC gets teams ranked higher than they should be every year doesn't mean dick.

Wah, wah, wah! You know, IF FSU actually played in a Big Boy Conference instead of the ACC, then FSU wouldn't have to travel to BFE for "quality" games. In the past 25 regular seasons FSU has traveled out of Florida to play ranked opponents a grand total of 28 times. Only 21 games in 25 seasons did FSU travel out of Florida to play a conference foe that was ranked! Like I said play in a Big Boy Conference and FSU wouldn't have to travel to BFE to play. I say "quality" because FSU has traveled outside of Florida for OOC games 25 times in 25 years but only 13 of those had winning records and only 7 were ranked.

I would also like to point out that the UF team that received " that ass whooping" by #11 Syracuse, was the same team that beat #4 FSU 14-9 and FSU didn't have to leave the state of Florida for "that ass whooping". Ah yes, another "NC dream" that died in Gainesville.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
???? Typical Nole- Can't read. In the OP, I stated "(no Bowls or CCG’s)"!

Wah, wah, wah! You know, IF FSU actually played in a Big Boy Conference instead of the ACC, then FSU wouldn't have to travel to BFE for "quality" games. In the past 25 regular seasons FSU has traveled out of Florida to play ranked opponents a grand total of 28 times. Only 21 games in 25 seasons did FSU travel out of Florida to play a conference foe that was ranked! Like I said play in a Big Boy Conference and FSU wouldn't have to travel to BFE to play. I say "quality" because FSU has traveled outside of Florida for OOC games 25 times in 25 years but only 13 of those had winning records and only 7 were ranked.

I would also like to point out that the UF team that received " that ass whooping" by #11 Syracuse, was the same team that beat #4 FSU 14-9 and FSU didn't have to leave the state of Florida for "that ass whooping". Ah yes, another "NC dream" that died in Gainesville.

That 5 point loss was not an ass whooping AND did not stop FSU from winning a NC. The game two weeks before that did. You know the infamous Wide Right. THAT is where the NC was lost. But boy did Cuse but a beating on them Gators.

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That 5 point loss was not an ass whooping AND did not stop FSU from winning a NC. The game two weeks before that did. You know the infamous Wide Right. THAT is where the NC was lost. But boy did Cuse but a beating on them Gators.

IF FSU had beaten UF, FSU would have had a re-match with UM.

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the original post I asked "What if it were possible for all teams to play the same schedule at least on paper? How much would the team W/L records change?"

Well, we can do that from a statistical standpoint. Suppose we break down each schedule into sub-groups based on "quality" of opponents. Then, for each sub-group, we can substitute a different number of opponents and calculate the W/L total for that sub-group. Then add up the new W/L records for the sub-groups to calculate the new record for the new schedule.

The sub-groups I came up with are: AP 1-5, AP 6-10, AP 11-15, AP 16-20, AP 21-25, Un-ranked majors, Un-ranked non-majors, and FCS teams.

I am using the top 25 teams in W/L over the past 25 season plus MSU for a resident Samuri.

First, a look at the actual number for each sub-group and each team. (I hope! I am new to this posting system.) I may have to do this two or three times to get it right.

upload_2015-5-27_22-1-6.png

Now, suppose every team plays this schedule:
AP 1-5 x32, AP 6-10 x21, AP 11-15 x24, AP 16-20 x11, AP 21-25 x15, Un-ranked majors 128, Un-ranked non-majors x41, and FCS teams x12 for a total of 285 games. Then using the above percentages for each team we can calculate how each would have done with this schedule. Here are the results:

upload_2015-5-27_22-12-25.png

Note the NEW W/L records and ranking are different.

Here are the percentage changes for each team.

upload_2015-5-27_22-15-6.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-5-27_22-10-27.png
    upload_2015-5-27_22-10-27.png
    118.4 KB · Views: 14