• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dak Prescott

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I Believe he has 2025 and 26 money tied up.
Nevermind, OTC has the cut contract listed.

Still, if he wants to reset the market, move some of the additional cap space to this year to ease the pain next season

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct. The corner they are in is that they are currently $8 million over the cap even after it went up by $30 million. They could cut some contracts, rework some deals and make it work, but it would be tight this season.
If they were going to part ways after this season, trading him now would make a ton of sense...except...Jerry gave him a no trade clause SMH. I thought making deals was supposed to be the one thing Jerry was good at lol
Piece of cake to get under and still sign a couple free agents. It’s $3M right now and CeeDee alone will save them a ton against the cap. Cap won’t be an issue even if they don’t extend Dak. Other guys can be reworked also if need be

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a moot point. They are resigning him. It's just opinions as to whether or not it's the right call. But there has been zero doubt they were resigning him since they gave Dak so much leverage on his last deal. Dak should become a GM when his QB days are over. Even the Seahawks GM didn't bend Jerry over this badly when he got two firsts for Joey Galloway
This isnt a Jerry thing to me.
Its a NFL & the way pay structures are for all franchise QBs. I think it is dumb, but not a Cowboy Dak thing. (thats all competitive teams)
Dak is our Franchise QB. After Dak, the next guy will re-reset the market. So on & so on. If we wait for the next guy to reset the market. Dak will only be more expensive. All owners will go through the same shit.
Dak's cap hit all the way until now has been cheap as fuck for franchise QBs. ('21 to '23)
he'll get extended & the 60 mil cap hit will go down. Signing franchise QBs will always be apart of kicking the can down the road. No matter what eagle fans think. if we want cheap cap hits to maneuver money. At some point it will have to hit us.
If it is another 4 yr contract, we will probably have him for cheaper than the avg. price for a franchise QB. for the next three years with the balloon payment at the end. Eventually we will pay the piper, (just like all teams with a Franchise QB) but that will be years down the road on his contract.
Until the NFL or whoever start capping absurd QB contracts. This is how it is for all. Just think it is funny how everyone blames the GM for these contracts. If a GM let a Qb that was in the running for MVP walk away. He would get fired & ridiculed.
This is just how QB contracts are unfortunately.
I know with Cowboys QBs when we dont reach the promised land, after the final lose, everyone goes into hyperbole.
but going backwards in the most important position in football, isnt a strong plan.

So in my opinion. Its definitely the right call to extend him.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if he just hadn't thrown that pick 6. Such a chock throw with his experience.

still shocked.

that game also brought in diva Cee Dee. DID NOT see that coming.

never boring in Big D.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if he just hadn't thrown that pick 6. Such a chock throw with his experience.

still shocked.

that game also brought in diva Cee Dee. DID NOT see that coming.

never boring in Big D.
That's my problem really. I started to turn the game off after the pick 6. The kid plays well in the regular season but he can't get it done in the playoffs. What it is

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not for signing Dak and it’s 100% because of how much it costs. I just think we tried it before and I’m not interested in tying up a ton more cap space and a bunch more years. There just isn’t a scenario where I see giving Dak $60M per year on top of his current cap hit makes sense. He is good but you need to be better than good for that. I’d rather blow it up if need be, but I don’t think we really need to. But damn, if we ever won a SB with Dak it would be even more special. Such a great human being, his teammates love him, he gets way more crap than he deserves and blamed for way more than he deserves. It’s not like this has been all his fault. I just really really really like the guy. It’s not personal. I don’t buy “that’s what QBs get”. Each team gets to decide if that is what they want to pay or not.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not for signing Dak and it’s 100% because of how much it costs. I just think we tried it before and I’m not interested in tying up a ton more cap space and a bunch more years. There just isn’t a scenario where I see giving Dak $60M per year on top of his current cap hit makes sense. He is good but you need to be better than good for that. I’d rather blow it up if need be, but I don’t think we really need to. But damn, if we ever won a SB with Dak it would be even more special. Such a great human being, his teammates love him, he gets way more crap than he deserves and blamed for way more than he deserves. It’s not like this has been all his fault. I just really really really like the guy. It’s not personal. I don’t buy “that’s what QBs get”. Each team gets to decide if that is what they want to pay or not.
I'm at the point where I'd love to see him play it out at the $59.4 number, I just ďon't see Jerry digging in.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm at the point where I'd love to see him play it out at the $59.4 number, I just ďon't see Jerry digging in.
If we let him play it out, we will not be able to add players. If somehow they could restructure enough other guys to allow us to sign one big impact free agent, then I would be OK with this as well.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we let him play it out, we will not be able to add players. If somehow they could restructure enough other guys to allow us to sign one big impact free agent, then I would be OK with this as well.
We can let him play it out and also sign an impact player. We are $3M over with CeeDee costing $18M. His cap hit will end up around like $7M-$10M less after he is signed. We can restructure any player we know will be here for at least a couple more years. I suspect we extend Martin and lower his cap hit significantly. And any player we sign will be back loaded.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't either. We will still have a good team with Dak this year. Let him play it out. If he wins the SB, just give him whatever. But we have one off the most talented teams in the NFL. There is just no way that I will believe that with an extra $40-50 million a year on cap space, that McClay couldn't turn this into a SF type roster, good enough to win with a young QB. Cut Rush, Draft Nix or Penix, and keep Lance. If either of the young guys hit, we have a 5-6 year window to contend

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and there you have it. Right from the horse's mouth ass

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just heard it. Dak has been paid fairly but has not proven he can deliver. Let him play out his cotract and then evaluate the future.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I will root for the team 365 days a year and watch every second of every game. But I have never had so little hope that we can win another Super Bowl as I do now. I think we have zero shot

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will root for the team 365 days a year and watch every second of every game. But I have never had so little hope that we can win another Super Bowl as I do now. I think we have zero shot
I was so disgusted during the playoff game. I remain a Cowboys fan,but have very low expectations regardless if Dak is extended or not.

I still can't figure out why they traded for Lance. What a waste of draft resources and Cap space IMO

If Dak gets too greedy then they need to let him get overpaid elsewhere. Dak has sucked in the playoffs.

I remember 1989 and when Aikman got drafted. The future All of a sudden became bright,even with Landry not returning. At that time I thought they were headed in a good direction.

Sometimes you got to blow things up to get a QB that can carry a team to a championship.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was so disgusted during the playoff game. I remain a Cowboys fan,but have very low expectations regardless if Dak is extended or not.

I still can't figure out why they traded for Lance. What a waste of draft resources and Cap space IMO

If Dak gets too greedy then they need to let him get overpaid elsewhere. Dak has sucked in the playoffs.

I remember 1989 and when Aikman got drafted. The future All of a sudden became bright,even with Landry not returning. At that time I thought they were headed in a good direction.

Sometimes you got to blow things up to get a QB that can carry a team to a championship.
I was excited about the Lance trade at the time. Trey is a tremendous talent, far superior to where Dak was coming out, and a good character kid by all accounts. What has made Dak a solid pro is his work ethic and leadership, and I was hoping some of that would wear off on Lance after a couple of years. I think if they drafted a Michael Penix or Bo Nix this season, between Lance and the rookie, they would have a couple of very talented kids who could sit and learn behind Dak next year and then be ready to compete for the job the following year if we parted ways with Dak. But now...yeah, seems like a complete waste of a 4th round pick. Might as well roll along with Cooper Rush if Dak is here another 5-6 years

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isnt a Jerry thing to me.
Its a NFL & the way pay structures are for all franchise QBs. I think it is dumb, but not a Cowboy Dak thing. (thats all competitive teams)
Dak is our Franchise QB. After Dak, the next guy will re-reset the market. So on & so on. If we wait for the next guy to reset the market. Dak will only be more expensive. All owners will go through the same shit.
Dak's cap hit all the way until now has been cheap as fuck for franchise QBs. ('21 to '23)
he'll get extended & the 60 mil cap hit will go down. Signing franchise QBs will always be apart of kicking the can down the road. No matter what eagle fans think. if we want cheap cap hits to maneuver money. At some point it will have to hit us.
If it is another 4 yr contract, we will probably have him for cheaper than the avg. price for a franchise QB. for the next three years with the balloon payment at the end. Eventually we will pay the piper, (just like all teams with a Franchise QB) but that will be years down the road on his contract.
Until the NFL or whoever start capping absurd QB contracts. This is how it is for all. Just think it is funny how everyone blames the GM for these contracts. If a GM let a Qb that was in the running for MVP walk away. He would get fired & ridiculed.
This is just how QB contracts are unfortunately.
I know with Cowboys QBs when we dont reach the promised land, after the final lose, everyone goes into hyperbole.
but going backwards in the most important position in football, isnt a strong plan.

So in my opinion. Its definitely the right call to extend him.
I get what you are saying. I do think it's a Jerry problem though. He never plans ahead.
The Packers drafted Jordan Love in the first round when the had Aaron Rodgers(who was a Hell of a lot better than Dak) starting at QB. Rodgers was pissed, wanted a WR or OL. How is that working out? Dak choked the chicken against what had been an average Green Bay defense, while having a 1st team All Pro WR, a franchise tagged RB, and 3 Pro Bowl offensive linemen. Love destroyed a higher ranked Dallas defense while throwing to a bunch of rookies and 2nd year WR's. The Niners drafted Brock Purdy in the 7th round when they still had Lance(who they traded the farm for) and Jimmy G still on the roster. When was the last time Jerry drafted a QB? The Eagles drafted Jalen Hurts after Carson Wentz had just gone 9-7 and threw for 4000 yards, 27 TD's and 7 picks. I can do this all day. Good GM's understand QB is THE most important position on the field, and you either have a GREAT QB that you pay(Mahomes, Brady) or you go with a better roster and a younger, cheaper option at QB(Purdy, Hurts, etc) if you want to compete for a Super Bowl. You say we HAVE to pay Dak because he is our Franchise QB. I say we wouldn't have to pay Dak if Jerry drafted QB's and didn't give Dak a contract that leaves huge salary cap ramifications if we don't resign him, and a no trade clause to boot.
The REAL bad news..Dak is 30 now. He has lost most of his mobility. Injuries are adding up. And after we resign him(and go another 5-6 years without a Title), we will reduce his $60 Million/year cap hit this year and next, meaning when he is 35-36 he will have cap hits around $80-85 million. Lovely