• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's Stan been doing?

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@ChrisKuc: #Blackhawks lines at practice. Remember, no Hossa: Bickell-Toews-Kane, Sharp-Handzus-Hayes, Saad-Shaw-Smith, Bollig-Kruger-Nordstrom

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coach Q after practice: Says it's "likely" that the #Blackhawks will break camp with 8 defensemen. Also, Hossa will likely skate tomorrow.

Hossa might skate...doesn't mean he is ready to practice.

I'm already worried!

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@ChrisKuc: #Blackhawks lines at practice. Remember, no Hossa: Bickell-Toews-Kane, Sharp-Handzus-Hayes, Saad-Shaw-Smith, Bollig-Kruger-Nordstrom

Once Hossa is back and bumps Hayes I'll like the lines, although I just don't see Handzus being effective playing 2nd line minutes over an 82 game season + playoffs.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coach Q after practice: Says it's "likely" that the #Blackhawks will break camp with 8 defensemen.

Hmmmmm....sounds like they're pretty unhappy with Brookbank.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed 100%. Don't see Handzus holding up an entire season.

Have to keep your fingers crossed that Hossa can hold up as well.

Hossa on the second line. Hayes on the fourth. Nordstrom gets bumped.

Revolving door with Pirri, Morin and Nordstrom at Rockford and Chicago.

Brookbank is awful. Watch for a trade (maybe) and Stanton as the 7th dman, although Q says he wants 8 on the roster (2 healthy scratches?).

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although after second thought, Q loves Nordy on the PK. So he could be one of the 20 starters.

Baseballnut77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in the past Q has had no problem with having extra D-men up and even throwing them out their on the wing from time to time so it really shouldn't be a big surprise. At worst you have an extra defensive minded player out their on the lower lines from time to time and if someone goes down from injury then he can bring up a real winger who is not just languishing on a bench and is ready to contribute

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know what the surprise is, Brookbank only played in 26 games last year and only one playoff game. I expected Olsen to be a back and forth guy though. It seems they have guys that have hung around long enough in Rockford that they really arent doing much, where being with the team practicing on a daily basis is probably where they should be.

HockeyDoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brookbank is a solid #6 or #7. I would rather take my chances with him rather than a rookie. Injuries will come and the rookies will get their ice time but I'm not ready to see them in the spring.

HockeyDoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calling Brookbank a solid #6 is a bit of a reach, don't you think?

I don't want to see him play much if that's what you mean but I think he's an upgrade to most of the bottom pairs around the league. He's not a terrible defensive player, and can eat up some minutes against quality scoring lines and defensive situations without being a liability positionally or physically. His entire body of work (not just his playoff game) last year was solid for a bottom pair type. He's not a great skater but he positions alright away from the puck and for the last half decade I'm not nearly as scared with him out there as I've been with Boynton, Sopel, Olsen, Cullimore, Hendry, O'Donnell, Lepisto, Montador, Stanton, Lalonde, Barker, Walker, Johnson, and on certain occassions, even some of the better overall players in defensive situations.

If Q is going to roll out rookies on the 3rd and 4th lines this year, he's probably better off playing a Brookbank type over a Roszival type in most cases throughout the year since he'll pound some people and take the obligatory instigator after Kruger or Smith get smeared all over the place...again. (I'm half kidding about that part).

I consider him a NHL number 6 but I'm glad he's a 7 and not a 6 in Chicago. STL is the only team in the division that probably wouldn't have a spot for him in the top 6 right now. If Chicago had more holes, they would probably move him for a depth player elsewhere but I'm assuming they'll keep him since he can plug one of a few different needs if injuries pop up in the spring.

He sucked in the playoff game, but I don't weigh individual playoff performances for one game up to even 2 series, as heavily as most seem to.

HockeyDoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, I don't fault anybody that doesn't like his game. He can shoot a bit, but he's pretty much a one dimensional role player.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, I don't fault anybody that doesn't like his game. He can shoot a bit, but he's pretty much a one dimensional role player.

I think it comes down to this: a team with Brookbank as their #6 on the depth chart is probably not winning the Cup. I don't fault him for the one bad playoff game after an extended period of not playing, but even when he played in the regular season it was clear he's not a guy you want playing 82 games. He's a legit #7, although overpaid for that role.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HockeyDoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it comes down to this: a team with Brookbank as their #6 on the depth chart is probably not winning the Cup. I don't fault him for the one bad playoff game after an extended period of not playing, but even when he played in the regular season it was clear he's not a guy you want playing 82 games. He's a legit #7, although overpaid for that role.

I'm basing it on contending teams. LA had the underdeveloped Martinez and Boston had McQuaid. I take Brookbank over the 2010 Sopel or Boynton, and I think he's an ideal fit for Bylsma's 09' team and I even think he's better than Lebda, Chelios, or Lilja from the 08' Wings.

I don't really like him and I don't think he's an ideal fit for a puck possession system but I think he's a bottom pair type. Some people like the skill and upside of prospects and young players. I don't like the tradeoff for a contending team.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#Blackhawks' practice lines: Bickell-Toews-Kane, Sharp-Handzus-Hossa, Saad-Shaw-Smith, Bollig-Kruger-Nordstrom. 5th line: Morin-Pirri-Hayes

HockeyDoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nordstrom only saw limited low line action in Rockford. I didn't think he had a shot to crack the roster this year. I didn't mean to imply I saw him making the last cuts.