• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Thread formerly known as the CBS Daily

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that was nice. napoli may be back to form.

we need that bat.

Thanks. I think the Red Sox are going to have one of the better offenses in MLB and will score a shitton of runs.

My concern for them is having Buchholz and Porcello as their potential aces. You think they'll make a move to get Hamels or someone else?

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly- they agreed to it so they should zippit. Also- what's the number of days he has to be in the minors? Like less than 2 weeks or something?

If he's in the minors for as few as 12 days the Cubs get another year before can become a free agent.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks. I think the Red Sox are going to have one of the better offenses in MLB and will score a shitton of runs.

My concern for them is having Buchholz and Porcello as their potential aces. You think they'll make a move to get Hamels or someone else?
ive said this all offseason

clay is going to have a career year

hes 30, tons of ? marks..and hes a FA after the season. he watched lester rake in the dough...if he turns in a solid to great year, he may too.

there should be less 'pussy' in the guy this year.

overall? the rotation to me is ok...not great, ok.

the pen?

absolute disaster...its going to kill this team.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he's in the minors for as few as 12 days the Cubs get another year before can become a free agent.
And that's really all they want, right? Shoulder fatigue indeed!

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got shoulder fatigue right now, but nobody's giving ME the day off...lousy non-contract, at-will employment situation...

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that's really all they want, right? Shoulder fatigue indeed!

It makes sense. I think teams routinely take advantage of the rule. The way that Bryant hit during the spring, it seems likely that he will be called up within the first two weeks of the season.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It makes sense. I think teams routinely take advantage of the rule. The way that Bryant hit during the spring, it seems likely that he will be called up within the first two weeks of the season.
I'm pretty excited to see him in action, but I can only watch the games out here that are broadcast on WGN. I dig those announcers though- they put on a good show.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough.

I think if we're being honest every division could end up having injuries decide it. That's baseball.
I think this year is wide open especially in the AL. The Boston homers at Grantland have Boston finishing 1st in the AL East and the Yankees being one of the worst teams in baseball. Olney has the Yankees at 11th. Thats a pretty big discrepancy.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got shoulder fatigue right now, but nobody's giving ME the day off...lousy non-contract, at-will employment situation...

Yeah, I have a hard team feeling too sorry for the players. Still, I imagine that the rule is likely to change when the next labor agreement is signed.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ive said this all offseason

clay is going to have a career year

hes 30, tons of ? marks..and hes a FA after the season. he watched lester rake in the dough...if he turns in a solid to great year, he may too.

there should be less 'pussy' in the guy this year.

overall? the rotation to me is ok...not great, ok.

the pen?

absolute disaster...its going to kill this team.

I've considered that as well. Given his history (and I see what you're saying), there's just no way I'd rely on him to be the ace on a playoff contender. Every season he's either really good and broken, or really shitty and healthy.

I'm thinking the Sox are going to see how the season starts and, if the other pieces are working, they'll pull the trigger to acquire an SP.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I have a hard team feeling too sorry for the players. Still, I imagine that the rule is likely to change when the next labor agreement is signed.

They are good. I particularly like Jim Deshaies. He seems to often brings up things that I wouldn't catch on my own by just watching the game.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not sure I agree with the 12days bit. I'm too lazy to look up the rules right now, but I think the line is somewhere late-May, early-June.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure I agree with the 12days bit. I'm too lazy to look up the rules right now, but I think the line is somewhere late-May, early-June.
Kris Bryant, Javier Baez, Addison Russell sent to minors by Chicago Cubs - ESPN Chicago

Excerpt:
"If Bryant spends 12 or more days in the minor leagues, Chicago would delay the slugging third baseman from becoming eligible for free agency by one year, until after the 2021 season, according to baseball's collective bargaining agreement."

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are good. I particularly like Jim Deshaies. He seems to often brings up things that I wouldn't catch on my own by just watching the game.
Yeah, Len & Jim are good- I also like how they add music and other stuff in there. Very entertaining. I know some will say I'm being sacrilegious, but I never got the appeal of Vin and his one man show. If he's doing the broadcast for a Dodger/Giants game, I have a hard time staying awake.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kris Bryant, Javier Baez, Addison Russell sent to minors by Chicago Cubs - ESPN Chicago

Excerpt:
"If Bryant spends 12 or more days in the minor leagues, Chicago would delay the slugging third baseman from becoming eligible for free agency by one year, until after the 2021 season, according to baseball's collective bargaining agreement."

This is going to sound crazy, but I'm still not sure I'm buying. Or, at least, there has to be something else to it, or I think we'd see an amount of top prospects being called up in Aprils of the past. Instead, we have histories of "June call ups." Maybe that has to do with trying to avoid super-2 status?

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is going to sound crazy, but I'm still not sure I'm buying. Or, at least, there has to be something else to it, or I think we'd see an amount of top prospects being called up in Aprils of the past. Instead, we have histories of "June call ups." Maybe that has to do with trying to avoid super-2 status?

I don't know anything more about it than what is reported in the article, though I do know that there is often a tension between keeping a prospect up or sending him down due to how that decision affects his future free agency status.

Reads to me as if MLBPA thinks that they can get some mileage out of this, since Bryant was having such a stellar spring.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know some will say I'm being sacrilegious, but I never got the appeal of Vin and his one man show. If he's doing the broadcast for a Dodger/Giants game, I have a hard time staying awake.

I do love Scully, and think what he does is amazing -- particularly at his age. I do agree, though, there's something soothing, maybe even sedative, about his voice. Being on the east coast, Dodgers games go pretty late and I'll put them on to fall asleep to.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Len & Jim are good- I also like how they add music and other stuff in there. Very entertaining. I know some will say I'm being sacrilegious, but I never got the appeal of Vin and his one man show. If he's doing the broadcast for a Dodger/Giants game, I have a hard time staying awake.

I love to listen to Vin for an inning or three. Lots of good info and stories. He tends to tire my ears out after more than that, though. A friend of mine once said he thinks that Vin reads from the Press Guide.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know anything more about it than what is reported in the article, though I do know that there is often a tension between keeping a prospect up or sending him down due to how that decision affects his future free agency status.

Reads to me as if MLBPA thinks that they can get some mileage out of this, since Bryant was having such a stellar spring.

Absolutely.

Further, I said I was too lazy, but I'm a curious mother fucker. I reviewed the current MLB CBA and found the following:

B. Free Agency

(1) Eligibility

Following the completion of the term of his Uniform Player’s

Contract, any Player with 6 or more years of Major League service

who has not executed a contract for the next succeeding season shall

become a free agent, subject to and in accordance with the provisions

of this Section B.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

A. Definitions

Those Player rights expressly set forth in the Basic Agreement for

which a Player’s eligibility is dependent upon credited Major League

service will be determined as follows:

(1) One full day of Major League service will be credited for

each day of the championship season a Player is on a Major League

Club’s Active List. A total of 172 days of Major League credited

service will constitute one full year of credited service. A Player

may not be credited with more than one year of credited service, 172

days, in one championship season. Major League service will be

computed commencing with the date of the first regularly scheduled

championship season game, through and including the date of the

last regularly scheduled championship season game. This rule shall

apply uniformly to all Players and all Clubs notwithstanding differences

in a particular Club’s schedule.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This year, the MLB season lasts from 4/5/15 through 10/4/15, which is 183 days. Accordingly, holding Bryant back for 12 days would be enough to postpone his free agency.

You were right.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do love Scully, and think what he does is amazing -- particularly at his age. I do agree, though, there's something soothing, maybe even sedative, about his voice. Being on the east coast, Dodgers games go pretty late and I'll put them on to fall asleep to.
I don't know where I'm getting it from (a parody infomercial perhaps?) but whenever I think about Vin calling a game, the phrase "the dulcet sounds of..." plays in my head and I immediately want to curl up on the couch while a ballgame plays in the background.
:sleep:

Shit. Now I need some coffee.