• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread - Part Brock and Roll Four Lines

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the Big Head Hockey twitter account - One name looks a little out of place and it sticks out like a sore thumb lol

Top-5 highest cap hit players next season:
$13.25m — Auston Matthews
$12.60m — Nathan Mackinnon
$12.50m — Connor McDavid
$11.64m — Artemi Panarin
$11.60m — Elias Pettersson

UFA/RFAs who could potentially join this list in the next few years:
— Leon Draisaitl
— Mikko Rantanen
— Evan Bouchard
— Mitch Marner
— Connor Bedard
— Kirill Kaprizov
— Jason Robertson
— Ilya Mikheyev

Who's the next to join the top-5?

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the Big Head Hockey twitter account - One name looks a little out of place and it sticks out like a sore thumb lol

$12.50m — Connor McDavid
$11.64m — Artemi Panarin

— Leon Draisaitl
— Mikko Rantanen
— Evan Bouchard
— Mitch Marner
— Connor Bedard
— Kirill Kaprizov
— Jason Robertson
— Ilya Mikheyev

— Ilya Mikheyev... wtf????

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
— Ilya Mikheyev... wtf????

31d8e3f116ea8b553a570bcda6e925a1d25b0790.gif

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

$12.50m — Connor McDavid
$11.64m — Artemi Panarin

— Leon Draisaitl
— Mikko Rantanen
— Evan Bouchard
— Mitch Marner
— Connor Bedard
— Kirill Kaprizov
— Jason Robertson
— Ilya Mikheyev

Only one??

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I read yesterday that after the McDonagh trade yesterday, the Preds have $26 million in cap space. Barry is going to spend like a drunken sailor lol.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I read yesterday that after the McDonagh trade yesterday, the Preds have $26 million in cap space. Barry is going to spend like a drunken sailor lol.
Can also easily deduct another $5 mil in space by moving Saros.

He can amass an absolute armada of picks and prospects by acting as new Coyotes. And this would probably be his best bet - don't think there's much they can do to take a leap this season but taking some "bad" contracts of players who still might be pretty good on the right team while giving his younger guys another year to mature isn't the worst strategy (while holding some space to act as a clearing house at the deadline). That should make them pretty formidable going into 25-26 and beyond.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i cant believe Pettersson is getting that much dough. holy balls

Frank Seravalli was on yesterday with the Calgary boys that comprise BarnBurner and called Petey afraid and soft. Video started about a minute or so before the infamous line.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frank Seravalli was on yesterday with the Calgary boys that comprise BarnBurner and called Petey afraid and soft. Video started about a minute or so before the infamous line.

I don't know if this is the case but at the very least I would wait until clean-out day and hear if he had some ridiculous injury he was fighting through before stating it. If it comes out after the fact that he was playing pretty hurt it's a dumb thing to say and probably something you wouldn't say with that knowledge.

And even if healthy, this was also his first real playoffs. I think he'd have to have a repeat performance next year or whenever the Canucks make the playoffs again for me to really start thinking this about him. At his best he's a top tier player.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know what he means when he said soft and afraid comment was on a really important play. There was one play where he was entering the Oilers Zone and just released the puck immediatley. I said to my nephew that it looked like he was scared there and couldn't get rid of that pick fast enough. I think it was on the 4 MIN PP.

I do laugh tho that he says he is soft and afraid like its a fact then he talks about the 18 pts in 17 games in the bubble where he was a world beater and not soft and afraid. whatever gets you the hits right Frank

I don't think it is soft but I think he was afraid, and by that I mean his confidence was so shattered that fear just took over and made him unable to react in normal ways that he could before. one thing is for sure is that Petey is probably the most concerning player on the team for his cap hit alone. The fans came to his defence but once that $11.6 kicks in and should he continue that he will be wanting out of here real fast.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things to remember about Nashville and the Preds besides their current cap situation:

Still very much a thin market. What I mean is, does not have the amount of hockey fans many other cities have. A lot closer to Phoenix then Toronto in that regard. The fans that do support the team disappear when they are not successful on the ice (playoff or bust). They also are not packing the barn before New Years Day (or when the Titans are eliminated, whichever comes first).

Ownership is focused on $$. That means box office, which means playoff revenues are very important. Also, means they have NO pressure to spend to the cap. Team has run in the bottom quarter of total salaries the last few years and wont want to go much higher without a payback

Trotz wants to win, He is a winner and expects the same from the team. He did not come back to "just" make the playoffs.

Preds have had lots of picks and have more the next couple of years (incl 5 from TB for Tanner Jeannot lol).

The prospect pool is average at best. They have maybe 3 players (Askarov, L'Heureux and Kemell) who can compete for a spot in 24-25, anyone else is further away.

The McDonagh trade was what I thought: player initiated and is not a salary dump.
The team needs the following to move into contender status: At least 2 heavy D, a true 1C and more complimentary scoring. Only one of those needs can be met via free agency this year, and I expect they will take a hard run at Zadorov. Maybe even overspend for him. Is he worth extra $$ so that Askarov has a fellow Russian to help acclimatize? We shall see.

The 1C is the tough one. And that is where the Marner idea falls apart. Sure they have the cap space and he is an elite player, but that is not where they have the biggest hole to fill. They need a true 1C so that O'Reilly can move to 2C where he belongs. If there is a "wow" moment out of Nashville this offseason, it will be a trade for a 1C.

(sent from Barry's burner account)

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Preds have had lots of picks and have more the next couple of years (incl 5 from TB for Tanner Jeannot lol).

(sent from Barry's burner account)

still blows me away

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings make Hiller permanent head coach. Long live the 1-3-1 and boring hockey. Still probably better than anything on the Ducks coaching staff however.