• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Let's take a closer look at Brady's MVP performance in the Super Bowl, shall we?

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just spent some time looking into this and I was amazed at what I found.

Seattle had 8 starters on D that were either out injured or playing through a serious injury in SB49. Brady may as well have been carving up a college defense. Trust me, he was not passing against the greatest defense of the decade. That historic D was not playing that day. What Brady did was no big accomplishment at all and more a reflection on BB's ability to gameplan and adjust. Not to mention, the Hawks had 17 players on the IR last year, 3rd in the NFL :(

Earl Thomas, FS- dislocated his shoulder in the NFCCG against the Packers. His labrum was fully torn. He had surgery to repair it on 2-25-15.

Richard Sherman, LCB- tore the UCL in his elbow during the NFCCG against the Packers. Doctors had decided to perform "Tommy John" surgery on his elbow, but at the last minute, due to the fact that he doesn't really throw the ball, doctors chose to try to let the elbow heel without surgery.

Kam Chancellor, SS- tore MCL in his left knee during the last practice before SB49. Doctors decided to try to let it heal without surgery.

Tharold Simon, RCB- dislocated his shoulder during the Week 16 game against the Cards. Carroll had said he would be out for the rest of the season as his labrum was fully torn, but a sickness to Maxwell forced Simon to play against the Panthers in the divisional round, and then a horrible injury to Lane in the 1st quarter of the SB forced Simon to replace Maxwell in the SB (Maxwell went to nickel to replace Lane). Simon was the CB who was picked apart by Brady. Fans that are familiar with Simon's play, could see that he was barely able to run or tackle due to the injury. Simon had shoulder surgery to repair his torn labrum on 2-14-15.

Jeremy Lane, Nickel CB- Lane intercepted a Tom Brady pass in the 1st quarter on SB49...on the runback, Lane was tackled by Edelman, who flew sideways using the weight of his entire body to take down Lane using a below the knees body slam...dirty tackle. Lane suffered a compound fracture of his wrist and a torn ACL in his knee. Lane had surgery to repair his shattered wrist in mid-February, and ACL surgery on his knee on 2-24-15.

Cliff Avril, DE rusher- Cliff Avril suffered a concussion early in the 2nd half and was out for the rest of the game.

Brandon Mebane, NT- in the midst of a career-high season, Mebane tore his hamstring in the Week 10 game against the Giants. He was placed on the IR on 11-11-14.

Jordan Hill, interior DL- Jordan was having a breakout season when he seriously injured his knee in the Week 17 game against the Rams...he was placed on the IR on 1-6-15.

Of the four Hawk D-Linemen, only Michael Bennett was healthy for the entire game against the Patriots. There was little to zero pressure on Brady during the 2nd half. All 4 players in the secondary (LOB) were either out for the game or playing through serious injuries. So you see, Brady decimated a bunch of gimpy invalids.

CRUCIAL: It turns out that the injury situation prior to the SB had an even bigger effect on the Seahawks. Because both Chancellor and Thomas were injured going into the SB game, the Seahawks chose to include Steven Terrell, a #6 CB who can play safety, on the active roster for SB49. As it turned out, giving that spot to Terrell left Marcus Burley off of the active roster. Burley is the #2 Nickel CB behind Lane, and a pretty good nickel at that. But when Lane was injured on the interception return in the 1st quarter, the only CB capable of playing Nickel was Maxwell...so the Hawks were forced to replace Lane with Maxwell, which in turn forced the Hawks to replace Maxwell at RCB with the injured, ill-fated Simon.

Ironically, the Patriots chose to ignore Edelman’s concussion and let him play through it (typical for a team that values winning far more than any morals or ethics). Had Julian Edelman been out of the game, he wouldn’t have been able to use that full-body tackle below the knees on Lane - an extremely dirty tackle that was obviously meant to injure Lane (an angry reaction to the interception of Brady). Edelman shattered Lane’s wrist and tore Lane’s ACL on the same tackle. Lane may miss the entire 2015 season. Edelman should have been ejected!!!

Summary: What Brady did in that game, the worst half of QB's in the NFL could have done easily. Even with all of the injuries, the Hawks managed to intercept Brady twice. It was a perfect storm for the Patriots and shows that Bill Belichick is such a master that he can and did turn a liability (Brady) into a game-planned weapon that the opponent never saw coming.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what about the pats SB's vs NY where brady had a bad foot, and gronk had a bad leg?

what about donta hightower playing all year (and the superbowl) with the same injury as earl thomas?

those dont count right?

Dont'a Hightower to have shoulder surgery after helping New England Patriots win Super Bowl | AL.com

New England Patriots linebacker Dont'a Hightower will have shoulder surgery now that the Super Bowl is over. The former Alabama All-American made five tackles in the Patriots' 28-24 victory over the Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XLIX on Sunday night, including bringing down running back Marshawn Lynch at the New England 1-yard line on Seattle's next-to-last snap.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported on Monday afternoon that Hightower would have surgery on his injured right shoulder.

Hightower played hurt down the stretch in the regular season and in the postseason for the Patriots. He injured his shoulder in the fourth quarter of New England's game against the Green Bay Packers on Nov. 30. Hightower missed the Patriots' next game, then played in two games before sitting out the meaningless regular-season finale. Hightower came back to play in New England's three postseason games.

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strongo just creamed his pants at the thought of this thread..... started by an eagles fan for what its worth.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, those count but have no relevance whatsoever to this discussion. Thanks though.
why not?

theyre injuries. :)

expand on why my injuries dont count but yours do.

this should be cute.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avril is the one that hurt, look at bradys number Pre avril concussion and Post avril concussion,,,sure would of been nice had he been allowed to play through his like Edelman did.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"only the injuries i say are relevant are relevant"

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avril is the one that hurt, look at bradys number Pre avril concussion and Post avril concussion,,,sure would of been nice had he been allowed to play through his like Edelman did.
edelmans not a pussy.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This response is why people can't have an intelligent conversation with you. the NFL HELD avril OUT of the game, had nothing to do with his manliness.
sure it did. julians not a pussy.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not? Just add it to your list and start a few threads on it...
ok, for the record i can now count all patriot injuries as excuses for losing.

nice!

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Despite what happened in their playoff run this year, the Seahawks have a strong roster that is going to get them to the NFCCG this season. There's little doubt about that. Chris Matthews and Jimmy Graham are two vertical threats for Russell Wilson as well as red-zone targets. The Seattle receiving corps might not be the best on paper but they're certainly capable of catching the ball and getting YAC.. The Seahawksfrom everything I've read seem to be focused on their identity; power running. We saw what happened in the Super Bowl when they deviated from it on the goal line (yes I know Lynch ran it for 4 yards prior to that).

It's not a smart thought to count this team out of contention. The only team NFC team that really has the tools to compete? The Green Bay Packers. I can smell a repeat of last year's NFCCG. Packers are out for blood as well following that humiliating defeat. It'll be interesting come playoff time because there's zero doubt the Seahawks are motivated.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i love parades!

drinking-at-the-parade-o.gif

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
look, its your boy tom celebrating #4.

ComplicatedLazyEyelashpitviper.gif