• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Syracuse self imposes ban on 2015 postseason play.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a coincidence they do this in their worst year in over a decade.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate to say it jonvi, but that gesture rings a little hollow. :doh:

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Chancellor Kent Syverud (the guy who made this decision) pretty well, and the guy is about as much of a straight shooter as you can find. I think it is a happy coincidence that Syracuse sucks this year, because he has shown ethics is more important than self-interest before. I won't go into the specifics of law school politics, but when he was our dean here, he eliminated a corrupt practice that most schools participated in knowing full well it would damage our ranking.

Either way, it eliminates one bubblish team from the picture (albeit a bit of a long shot). I wonder how this will affect Boeheim's legacy, if at all.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No ACC tournament either so mid season it goes from 15 to 14 teams lol.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah let's see how our season goes and once we determine its lost we'll self impose a ban.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Chancellor Kent Syverud (the guy who made this decision) pretty well, and the guy is about as much of a straight shooter as you can find. I think it is a happy coincidence that Syracuse sucks this year, because he has shown ethics is more important than self-interest before. I won't go into the specifics of law school politics, but when he was our dean here, he eliminated a corrupt practice that most schools participated in knowing full well it would damage our ranking.

Either way, it eliminates one bubblish team from the picture (albeit a bit of a long shot). I wonder how this will affect Boeheim's legacy, if at all.

While that may be true, this thing still looks... "iffy."

If they wanted to make a statement they could have banned themselves from next season, instead of this one.

I guess it all works out though. Since none of the current players were part of the investigation, "We're going to not punish the players that didn't have a role in it," makes about as much sense as anything the NCAA would do.

CoolStoryBro

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's been a lot of rumblings on the hill this past month. It seemed like the NCAA and Cuse reached a deal with a ban this year, lost schollies and 14 vacated wins. It seemed as though both sides were happy but some head honcho said no thanks not going to happen and put 2 years back on the table. (For what we have been accused of, two years is objectively ludicrous and would require UNC to have at least a 10 year ban to be equivalent.)

So fast forward to now it seems as though the previous deal has been signed off on (NCAA was told by Cuse it would self-impose in October) and when the report comes out it will include two scholarship reductions for 2016 and 2017 (4 total) and 14 vacated wins. That's the original deal.

Or the NCAA will take offense and say no thank you we are going to be the idiots that we are known for and still go for two years but it seems unlikely as the timing of this self imposed ban means most likely a deal was struck and now the COI will release its report with the additional scholarship and vacated win penalties. If that happens Cuse with take it to court, guaranteed.

All for self reported drug testing violations (Cuse sets the policy so who gives a fuck), for Fab Melo who we sat for 3 games reinstated because the NCAA gave the go ahead and than suspended him for the post season after he handed in someone else's work. And Southerland has a bit to do with it as well but we also suspended for games and all these violations were self reported and we worked with the NCAA the whole time.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After reading around some it does sound like there are a lot of whispers that the NCAA strngly suggested that Syracuse self-impose something like this.

That said a lot of the folks over at TNIAAM seem to think it's going to get worse before it gets better.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate to say it jonvi, but that gesture rings a little hollow. :doh:

Yeah it does. And the timing is odd. I thought SU was outside the window for a self imposed punishment for it to be considered a part of the NCAA's decision?

I'm pretty sure SU knows the rules so like csb stated, he believes SU and the NCAA are collaborating. One would hope they are.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Melo was dumber than a box of rocks and everyone at Syracuse knew that. I'm not sure if Coach Boeheim was involved, however suspect he turned his back on the situation in hopes a miracle happened and Melo found some brains. Not going to tournament play is enough and it's not fair to punish the players down the road. I can see vacating some wins if it is proved it was the basketball program and not some overzealous grad students certifying Southerland and Melo as academically qualified to play. I see that as a problem with most universities. They allow grad assistants to teach courses so the professor of record can write books and do research. My feeling; if they are hired to teach; they should teach.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Melo was dumber than a box of rocks and everyone at Syracuse knew that. I'm not sure if Coach Boeheim was involved, however suspect he turned his back on the situation in hopes a miracle happened and Melo found some brains. Not going to tournament play is enough and it's not fair to punish the players down the road. I can see vacating some wins if it is proved it was the basketball program and not some overzealous grad students certifying Southerland and Melo as academically qualified to play. I see that as a problem with most universities. They allow grad assistants to teach courses so the professor of record can write books and do research. My feeling; if they are hired to teach; they should teach.

A lot of Universities are research institutions. Professors are paid to write books and do research. That's kinda the point of a research institution. Syracuse just so happens to be a research institution.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of Universities are research institutions. Professors are paid to write books and do research. That's kinda the point of a research institution. Syracuse just so happens to be a research institution.

I understand that....just don't agree. I'm not interested in mine or any one else's children learning from a grad assistant. It's bad enough that most professors never spent a day working in the real world and even worse Kids teaching kids.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that....just don't agree. I'm not interested in mine or any one else's children learning from a grad assistant. It's bad enough that most professors never spent a day working in the real world and even worse Kids teaching kids.

Then don't send them to a research institution. Tada!

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Is that an athletic only thing? Never happened at Pitt in my experience, although grad students were TA's who each taught a recitation sub-section of a larger course, ie Chem 2 had two lectures and a lab, the TA was the lab instructor.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today Syracuse said the football program already sat out their post season ban for the 2014/2015 season.

That and now the bball program sitting out the 2014/2015 season as well.

SU's now the shining star of rehabillitation and has restored the faith of sports fans and writers alike.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Already sat out their post season ban, in football?

Yes, they sure did! Hahahaha.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for them but would have been better to do it in a year in which they wheren't doing poorly.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, this is a pretty big blanket statement. Grad students have various different duties as TAs. They can just be graders, they can teach a section (like a review class on Friday, after the prof's lectures on Monday and Wed), and they can teach stand alone classes, etc. Most times a grad student (in my department, anyway) teaches a stand alone course it is when they are at the end of their PhD, and it's an upper division summer or winter course. But all of that being said, it definitely depends on the department. Just saying that "grad students teach courses so that profs can research and write" is inconsistent and misleading, at best. It also depends on whether it is a gen ed class or a upper division class, the subject, size of the department, funding, etc. All of that being said, profs and grad students get evaluated for every class. Only the tenured profs can get away with bad evals, which the majority of profs, are not tenured. As much as evals are not a determining factor of gaining tenure, assistant profs still get hammered if they receive bad evals. Contrary to popular belief, the overwhelming majority of department heads and professors care a great deal about good teaching, especially with undergrads. The percentage of profs who are crusty old tenured profs and don't give a shit are in the small minority, but again, it depends on the discipline, department, program, school, etc.

Oh, and all the while, grad students are taking classes, researching, and writing as well.

As Trolly said, if you don't like it, don't send your kids to a research institution.