• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Hamilton, Rangers host dysfunctional Angels

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree in that we need to see how things go with him in the 2nd half. That is where I was really trying to go with my response. At his price we just need to be sure before doing something drastic. We need the help.

Think I was too, but was having a hard time getting there. haha

This team being around .500 hasn't really altered my 2015 expectations. IMO we can continue to move guys around, up and down, DL, etc.

Actually like the idea of Chi-Chi getting some lessons, and Gallo as well. And believe it was a prudent move to send Martinez down as well.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what is taking so long to call DeShields back up unless he was not legally able to be called up before now. And I think we need to put Hamilton back on the DL. Let him get healthy. Should have kept Beltre out too.

You're right these guys need to stop being inserted into the lineup until they are 100%. I thought it was stupid from the start to add Hamilton back in, when he was saying he was only 80%. That was just asking for him to re-injure himself if not injure something else while compensating for the hammy

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think I was too, but was having a hard time getting there. haha

This team being around .500 hasn't really altered my 2015 expectations. IMO we can continue to move guys around, up and down, DL, etc.

Actually like the idea of Chi-Chi getting some lessons, and Gallo as well. And believe it was a prudent move to send Martinez down as well.
Agree with you on all of this.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right these guys need to stop being inserted into the lineup until they are 100%. I thought it was stupid from the start to add Hamilton back in, when he was saying he was only 80%. That was just asking for him to re-injure himself if not injure something else while compensating for the hammy
Exactly.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although I tend to agree with both Murph and Wastin regarding giving a guy time to be 100% before recalling/inserting him into the line-up, I do see an obstacle to our logic.

And that is, someone's gotta suit up/play, and hopefully get the job done.

Allow me to play "devil's advocate" here for a minute please. What if Hamilton was still on the DL, and Rua was in AAA? Who's in our starting OF? And I'm kind of figuring MM as our 4th OF in this scenario.

Should have really asked, who's in left?

Last edited:

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although I tend to agree with both Murph and Wastin regarding giving a guy time to be 100% before recalling/inserting him into the line-up, I do see an obstacle to our logic.

Allow me to play "devil's advocate" here for a minute please. What if Hamilton was still on the DL, and Rua was in AAA? Who's in our starting OF? And I'm kind of figuring MM as our 4th OF in this scenario.

When DDJ comes back(activated today I think), I see the outfield as DDJ in LF, Martin in CF and Choo in RF. Thats if Josh is out for an extended period again. I hate it but Choice could be the bench outfielder, as he's on the 40 man. I don't see him in our future really anyway. Then you can send Rua down to get his swings everyday.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers trade contact-challenged OF Jake Skole to Yankees
by Marty Gitlin | CBSSports.com
The Rangers have traded Double-A outfielder Jake Skole to the Yankees for cash considerations, per the Fort Worth Star Telegram.

The fomer first-round pick is batting just .218 this season, but that would be his peak average since 2012. He has 60 strikeouts in only 188 at-bats in 2015.

Safe to say that 1st round pick hasn't panned out

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When DDJ comes back(activated today I think), I see the outfield as DDJ in LF, Martin in CF and Choo in RF. Thats if Josh is out for an extended period again. I hate it but Choice could be the bench outfielder, as he's on the 40 man. I don't see him in our future really anyway. Then you can send Rua down to get his swings everyday.

Makes sense and I am not much of a fan of Choice on offense as well as defense but he has been doing better offensively in the last few weeks and he is RH. We really do not need another LH bat that is mediocre.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers trade contact-challenged OF Jake Skole to Yankees
by Marty Gitlin | CBSSports.com
The Rangers have traded Double-A outfielder Jake Skole to the Yankees for cash considerations, per the Fort Worth Star Telegram.

The fomer first-round pick is batting just .218 this season, but that would be his peak average since 2012. He has 60 strikeouts in only 188 at-bats in 2015.

Safe to say that 1st round pick hasn't panned out
He has been pretty bad and should not even be at AA but because he was a 1st rounder the Rangers kept moving him up.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers RP Spencer Patton implodes for six runs on Saturday
by Jason Lempert | Staff Writer
Rangers right-hander Spencer Patton got lit up in a relif outing on Saturday. Spencer entered the game in the sixth inning with the Angels up 5-0. Before he knew it, he had allowed six runs, including a three-run home run to C.J. Cron, while getting just two outs in the inning.

With the horrid outing, Patton's ERA jumped up seven runs, from 4.05 to 11.05. Patton had given up a total of three runs in his first six appearances this season, prior to Saturday's meltdown.

Saw he hit 2 batters, but what the heck? Detwiler was his usual garbage self, also.
Man the bullpen freaking sucks, Freeman may be the best option out there, besides Tolleson.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers RP Spencer Patton implodes for six runs on Saturday
by Jason Lempert | Staff Writer
Rangers right-hander Spencer Patton got lit up in a relif outing on Saturday. Spencer entered the game in the sixth inning with the Angels up 5-0. Before he knew it, he had allowed six runs, including a three-run home run to C.J. Cron, while getting just two outs in the inning.

With the horrid outing, Patton's ERA jumped up seven runs, from 4.05 to 11.05. Patton had given up a total of three runs in his first six appearances this season, prior to Saturday's meltdown.

Saw he hit 2 batters, but what the heck? Detwiler was his usual garbage self, also.
Man the bullpen freaking sucks, Freeman may be the best option out there, besides Tolleson.
We need to see what we have in Patton. He was highly regarded when we got him from KC. Like to give him a few more opportunities. And like you said our BP as a whole is nothing to write home about.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense and I am not much of a fan of Choice on offense as well as defense but he has been doing better offensively in the last few weeks and he is RH. We really do not need another LH bat that is mediocre.

LH'ers vs the Rangers lineup is getting tough to watch

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like the idea of Rua being sent down. He really needs to play/hit as much as he can, and facing less than ML ready pitching would assist too.

Like you, I see no future of MC with us, and for the short run, I'd just as soon see how stay down at AAA to see if his bat is really coming around or not. Let MM be the backup.

Either plan - MC or MM - isn't an idea option though.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Hamilton was still on the DL then Rua could be playing everyday here.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the idea of Rua being sent down. He really needs to play/hit as much as he can, and facing less than ML ready pitching would assist too.

Like you, I see no future of MC with us, and for the short run, I'd just as soon see how stay down at AAA to see if his bat is really coming around or not. Let MM be the backup.

Either plan - MC or MM - isn't an idea option though.

You never know, Choice may come around. Don't give up quite yet but to me his work in OF leaves quite a bit to be desired. That could be the deal breaker in all of this.

Missed game last night to family outing. Pain avoidance.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DDJr activated and Alberto optioned. Rosales lives on