• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Burgers

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're going to think I'm insane once you read this (if you don't already).

Ribeye has been my favorite for a long time too, but I think I'm starting to lean towards... get ready...

skirt steak

I'm not even sure I've tried that before. What's it like?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not even sure I've tried that before. What's it like?

It's in between the flank and brisket on a cow. It's a long (like 3 feet but the butchers often cut it into more manageable pieces), thin steak. It's marbled with this unique fat that is so fucking good, it's ridiculous. It's not an expensive cut, but it's often hard to find. Very flavorful, but tender as hell.

I'd never heard of it either until maybe three years ago or so. I went to craftsteak in Vegas and we did a Waygu beef tasting. It came with a filet, strip, ribeye and skirt all sliced so everyone could sample the different cuts. All four of us picked the skirt as our favorite.

Caution: if it's not well prepared, it's going to be shitty and you're going to think I'm a dipshit.

I look for good quality, not too thick (maybe an inch and a quarter), I smack it gently with a tenderizer, marinate it, or dry rub it, and then grill it 2-3 min per side for rare to mid-rare. Slice against the grain.

I hesitate to call it my favorite steak because I know people are thinking about more traditional cuts, but recently it seems like skirts are what really amaze me.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's in between the flank and brisket on a cow. It's a long (like 3 feet but the butchers often cut it into more manageable pieces), thin steak. It's marbled with this unique fat that is so fucking good, it's ridiculous. It's not an expensive cut, but it's often hard to find. Very flavorful, but tender as hell.

I'd never heard of it either until maybe three years ago or so. I went to craftsteak in Vegas and we did a Waygu beef tasting. It came with a filet, strip, ribeye and skirt all sliced so everyone could sample the different cuts. All four of us picked the skirt as our favorite.

Caution: if it's not well prepared, it's going to be shitty and you're going to think I'm a dipshit.

I look for good quality, not too thick (maybe an inch and a quarter), I smack it gently with a tenderizer, marinate it, or dry rub it, and then grill it 2-3 min per side for rare to mid-rare. Slice against the grain.

I hesitate to call it my favorite steak because I know people are thinking about more traditional cuts, but recently it seems like skirts are what really amaze me.

Make carne asadas outta that shit all the time.

If sliced, it HAS to be against the grain and thin. Great for marinades like mojos en sech.

One of my favs cuz its cheap and delicious.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Make carne asadas outta that shit all the time.

If sliced, it HAS to be against the grain and thin. Great for marinades like mojos en sech.

One of my favs cuz its cheap and delicious.

Would you agree that, when done right, it's so fucking tender and that fat tastes like no other beef fat, or is it just me?

I seriously don't know how flanks became so much more popular.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like flanks too....its all how its prepared en sech.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rock solid thread here...

...but no mention of bleu cheese crumbles here, in or on top...losers.

I get sick every time I eat bleu cheese in any measurable amount. I'm allergic to penicillin - don't know if that has something to do with it or not.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cool, I'll keep an eye out for it and maybe give a try if it looks good.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rock solid thread here...

...but no mention of bleu cheese crumbles here, in or on top...losers.

I'm probably the most boring and plain eating person in the world.

The Iron Jaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just ate burgers tonight. Compared to what I normally have, they were huge. I had to eat one at supper time, and one a little before 11 pm.

They were decent... I'm just glad I can eat burgers. *insert long medical story here*

But I have a question for anyone to quote me on this. I don't know the demographic age around here, and if there are parents or no, but what do you think of fast food burgers such as Burger King, McDonalds, Wendys, etc? Do you eat them for the cheap meal? Would you feed them to your kids?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just ate burgers tonight. Compared to what I normally have, they were huge. I had to eat one at supper time, and one a little before 11 pm.

They were decent... I'm just glad I can eat burgers. *insert long medical story here*

But I have a question for anyone to quote me on this. I don't know the demographic age around here, and if there are parents or no, but what do you think of fast food burgers such as Burger King, McDonalds, Wendys, etc? Do you eat them for the cheap meal? Would you feed them to your kids?

I'm 39. Two kids. Slink Jr is about to turn 6, Slinkette just turned 4.

Every once in a while, I crave McDonalds. I get it. Eat it. Don't really enjoy it, then feel like shit about an hour later. Not sick to my stomach, just bad, like I did something I shouldn't have to myself. This, coming from a guy who probably drinks a handle of bourbon a week.

We don't feed the kids McDs much, but all those spots have those fucking playgrounds, so the kids are attracted to them like flies on shit - sort of literally.

I love burgers, but know they aren't good for me, so if I'm going to eat them, I'm not wasting it on BK, McD or Wendy's.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think fast food burgers are bad tasting for what they are. But I work at home and thus I'm not much of an "on the go" kind of person having to commute to work and shit everyday, so I probably eat fast food like once every other month.

Unless I'm traveling of course, then I eat it quite a bit.

As for kids, I don't think it makes them fat. I think not exercising and playing outside makes them fat.

The Iron Jaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think fast food burgers are bad tasting for what they are. But I work at home and thus I'm not much of an "on the go" kind of person having to commute to work and shit everyday, so I probably eat fast food like once every other month.

Unless I'm traveling of course, then I eat it quite a bit.

As for kids, I don't think it makes them fat. I think not exercising and playing outside makes them fat.
I'll assure you, my mind was far from "obesity" when typing that question, LOL... I actually had on my mind what some people say are in the burgers, and it's unhealthy for other reasons rather than "weight gain", which you can get from almost any food.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wow, funny you should ask.
two kids, son 12 and daughter 8.
They like McD's and BK. But my wife and I will only use it as a last resort. Late night of soccer, traveling that kind of thing. But the kids LOVE their burgers and always beg.
So one night I thought, what could be in it that kids love so much? High Fructose Corn Syrup perhaps? MSG?
Well that's what led me to come up with my "recipe". Lean beef because the wife thinks it's healthier, brown sugar to sweeten it up, McCormick's seasoning because it adds flavor and sodium, butter to add flavor (and grease, see lean beef) bacon because bacon.
Kids never ask for fast food burgers anymore. Ever.

The Iron Jaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, funny you should ask.
two kids, son 12 and daughter 8.
They like McD's and BK. But my wife and I will only use it as a last resort. Late night of soccer, traveling that kind of thing. But the kids LOVE their burgers and always beg.
So one night I thought, what could be in it that kids love so much? High Fructose Corn Syrup perhaps? MSG?
Well that's what led me to come up with my "recipe". Lean beef because the wife thinks it's healthier, brown sugar to sweeten it up, McCormick's seasoning because it adds flavor and sodium, butter to add flavor (and grease, see lean beef) bacon because bacon.
Kids never ask for fast food burgers anymore. Ever.
Ohhh that is excellent sir! hahahahaha .. Great story! Thank you for sharing sir. :)

Yeah, once I was able to get my mouth around a real burger other than those fast food places, I've never wanted to go back.