• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft, 2024

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else notice that our first three picks will all be 24 this season? Like we were going for "older" more mature players this time.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In case anyone is asking (and no one did), this is my own draft, with Niner Outlaw as the GM:

1. CB Kool-Aid McKinstry, Alabama
2. OG Brandon Coleman, TCU
3. IOL Dominick Puni, Kasnsas
4a. S Malik Mustapha, Wake Forest
4b. CB TJ Tampa, Iowa State
4c. OT Christian Jones, Texas
6. WR Ryan Flournoy, SE Missouri State
7. DT Evan Anderson, Florida Atlantic

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An assortment of experts and their grades for the Niners's 2024 draft:

Danny Kelly, The Ringer: A-
San Francisco earned a "C-" grade in 2023, marking a significant improvement in this year's assessment.

"The 49ers had the disadvantage of picking near the back of the round for just about every pick they made, but it didn't seem to matter much," Kelly shared. "I like the haul the defending NFC champs brought away from this draft, a group that includes two playmaking receivers in Ricky Pearsall and Jacob Cowing. Pearsall boasts high-end route-running skills, great hands, and tons of toughness both at the catch point and as a blocker. Cowing, meanwhile, is electric, both deep down the field and when running away from defenders after the catch. San Francisco added talent to their secondary with the selections of cornerback Renardo Green and safety Malik Mustapha as well, the latter of whom I believe should've gone off the board a full round earlier. Mustapha is a rangy, hard-hitting safety who could be a big-time tone-setter for an already excellent defense. Third-round offensive lineman Dominick Puni also brings the potential to start at guard early in his career."

Trevor Sikkema, Pro Football Focus: B+
Pro Football Focus graded the 49ers' draft higher than last year's "C+" mark. Sikkema's analysis for each of San Francisco's eight selections is listed below.

Pearsall — The 49ers take Pearsall, a slot receiver from Florida who excelled during the pre-draft process. Pearsall was productive and reliable, and his measurables are up to NFL standards. He only dropped five passes since the beginning of 2020, which is tied for the fewest among Power Five receivers with at least 200 targets in that span. This pick could also add intrigue to trade rumors swirling around Brandon Aiyuk and Deebo Samuel.

Green — Green, PFF's 89th-ranked player in the class, had a spectacular season at Florida State. He posted a 90.0 PFF coverage grade in 2023. The strange part about the fit with the 49ers is that they are generally a zone-heavy defense. They do run a high rate of press coverage, though, so they may have a plan in place for Green's role in their defense.

Puni — A powerful mauler in the run game, Puni started 27 games at left tackle over the past four seasons at Kansas but likely projects inside due to his desire to win in a phone booth as well as a lack of flexibility and inconsistent hand usage in his pass sets. He can help out at tackle in a pinch, offering the 49ers a nice depth piece with positional versatility in the third round.

Mustapha — Mustapha is coming off his best season in 2023, earning a 79.6 PFF grade. He was particularly impressive against the run, earning an 87.5 PFF run-defense grade, fifth among Power Five safeties.

Guerendo — Guerendo makes fast people look… not so fast. His 4.33-second 40-yard dash ranked first among running backs at the NFL scouting combine. He has the ability to make people miss once he reaches the second level of the defense. Guerendo is also a capable receiving threat out of the backfield, earning an 84.1 receiving grade in 2023.

Cowing — This is a strong fit for Cowing and his skill set. He's a very solid route runner and a lethal weapon in the red zone. He racked up nine receiving touchdowns in 2023, tied for second among FBS receivers, in large part due to his ability to win quickly. In the Shanahan-style offense, Cowing will not only be a tremendous threat in the passing game, but also a decoy defensive coordinators have to worry about in unique formations/motion concepts.

Kingston — Kingston was a solid pass blocker in college, at Washington State and then USC. He earned a 74.0-plus PFF pass-blocking grade in every season and allowed 17 quarterback pressures, including one sack, from 464 pass-blocking snaps this past season.

Bethune — Bethune flashes solid ability in coverage. He recorded two forced incompletions and an interception with the Seminoles in 2023. Bethune's 76.0 PFF grade ranked 50th at the position in 2023.

Nate Davis, USA Today: B
San Francisco earned a solid "B" grade from Davis, improving over last year's "C+" mark. While some viewed Pearsall as a reach at No. 31 overall, Davis was complimentary of the selection.

"First-round Florida WR Ricky Pearsall and second-round Florida State CB Renardo Green have the ability to contribute heavily to another Super Bowl push while also being foundational pieces beyond 2024 – especially if Pearsall has to eventually replace former Arizona State teammate Brandon Aiyuk's production," Davis wrote. "Third-round OL Dominick Puni (Kansas) might also crack the rotation this season but many of the players might struggle to make this roster – one reason the Niners spun two of their 10 picks into future drafts."

Chad Reuter, NFL.com: B
San Francisco earned a slightly higher grade than last year's "B-" mark. Reuter grades each day, awarding the 49ers a "B+" for Day 1, a "B-" for Day 2, and a "B" for Day 3.

"Pearsall's quickness and hands warranted first-round consideration, and the team needed a receiver with the potential trading away of Deebo Samuel or Brandon Aiyuk down the road," Reuter explained. "The 49ers could have also picked a cornerback or tackle at that spot. Green and Puni will contribute in areas of need, but trading up for Puni was a bit of a stretch. They did not re-sign Chase Young after sending a third to Washington at the deadline.

"Mustapha, picked with the selection gained from Dallas for quarterback Trey Lance, should see time on defense and special teams as a rookie. The 49ers hope to get more from Guerendo than recent running back picks Trey Sermon and Tyrion Davis-Price. Cowing is small but crafty, and Kingston's guard/tackle versatility makes him a valuable backup."

Matt Verderame, Sports Illustrated: B
Verderame graded the 49ers better than Gilberto Manzano of SI did in 2023 (C+) and praised the team's selection of Pearsall in the first round.

"Kyle Shanahan played wide receiver and evaluates the wide receiver class each year for the 49ers. He's had tremendous success at picking the position so far during his tenure as the team's coach, and Pearsall seems like a player who can also help San Francisco blend a little bit of McVay into the system by involving the versatile wideout into their blocking scheme intimately."

Mel Kiper, ESPN: B-
This was the most predictable grade of the bunch. For the fifth year in a row, the ESPN analyst awarded the 49ers a "B-" grade for their draft haul. Kiper noted that he would have liked to see the team bring in some competition for right tackle Colton McKivitz, whom he labels as a "below-average run-blocker." He also labeled the selection of Green as the "biggest reach of Round 2."

"That was their biggest need in Round 1, in my eyes," Kiper explained. "Lynch went a different direction, reaching a little bit for Ricky Pearsall (31), my 10th-ranked wide receiver. Pearsall has great hands and will be an asset in the run game as a blocker, but there were better players available at the end of Round 1.

"Then, San Francisco had the biggest reach of Round 2, selecting my No. 21 cornerback Renardo Green (64) about two rounds too high. That was a confusing one, as there were still some good corners on the board. I do like what Lynch & Co. did after that, though. Dominick Puni (86) has the potential to be a starting guard in time. Safety Malik Mustapha (124) is impressive in coverage and will be a dynamo on special teams. Running back Isaac Guerendo (129) ran a blazing 4.33-second 40-yard dash at the combine and averaged 6.1 yards per carry last season, though he only had one year of steady production. The 49ers traded Nos. 173 and 176 to get Gurerendo, so they must like him a lot.

"Snagging Puni keeps the 49ers' grade out of the C territory, though I do think Pearsall will be a good pro."

Vinnie Iyer, Sporting News: C-
Iyer explained, "The 49ers had a rare curious draft under John Lynch for many reasons. They added two more wide receivers despite not trading Brandon Aiyuk or Deebo Samuel and making plans to extend Jauan Jennings. They also took some luxury again at running back behind Christian McCaffrey in the speedy Guerendo. Puni and Mustapha are easily the best picks, and they project for depth at first. As a Super Bowl hopeful, there's nothing here that put loaded San Francisco over the top in relation to top NFC rivals."
if san fran picks a player,you can bet they,ve crawled up his ass with a microscope.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since we drafted a RB in the middle rounds, Isaac Guerendo--if history holds true--he'll be cut after the season in favor of Cody Schrader, the undrafted FA RB we signed.

3rd rd pick Trey Sermon was outplayed and cut b/c of Mitchell (6th rounder)
3rd rd pick TDP was outplayed and cut b/c of Mason (UDFA)

It's like Kyle is hell bent on finding a mid round RB and he keeps failing. Is the 3rd time the charm?

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In case anyone is asking (and no one did), this is my own draft, with Niner Outlaw as the GM:

1. CB Kool-Aid McKinstry, Alabama
2. OG Brandon Coleman, TCU
3. IOL Dominick Puni, Kasnsas
4a. S Malik Mustapha, Wake Forest
4b. CB TJ Tampa, Iowa State
4c. OT Christian Jones, Texas
6. WR Ryan Flournoy, SE Missouri State
7. DT Evan Anderson, Florida Atlantic

They picked him up after the draft, undrafted FA who will be guaranteed money that rivals PS $. Should be at least a PS guy.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since we drafted a RB in the middle rounds, Isaac Guerendo--if history holds true--he'll be cut after the season in favor of Cody Schrader, the undrafted FA RB we signed.

It's like Kyle is hell bent on finding a mid round RB and he keeps failing. Is the 3rd time the charm?
Yeah why waste all those picks? Could have built the secondary or lines. Good spot to get linebackers too.

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall, I feel like the Niners did WELL in this draft. They weren't all names I would have picked but the logic of what they were doing seemed sound. Got explosive WRs with speed, a HR runner similar to Mostert, a fantastic tackling S, some tough OL whose measurables make sense, a LB with speed and a DT whose specialty is run support. It makes sense given where each is in their development. All of these guys are 5th yr seniors at least with experience and some level of polish to them.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Anyone else notice that our first three picks will all be 24 this season? Like we were going for "older" more mature players this time.
I noticed it too while watching Youtube. At first i was thinking its due to our being in the SB window, but this can't be right. You wouldn't purposely stack your board and then move older prospects higher. :-)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if san fran picks a player,you can bet they,ve crawled up his ass with a microscope.
haaa, no doubt.

National pundits base their grade on a national view of prospects. The 49ers obviously draft according to our team's specific schemes. Pearsall in a good example of this, he fits our scheme to a 'T', whereas he wouldn't for most other teams.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

based on measurables, Guerendo is a top prospect no question. But we can't help wonder why he wasn't THE back in Louisville? So agree we can only wait and see if he's actually an NFL starter or at least someone who can share the load after CMC is gone.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah why waste all those picks? Could have built the secondary or lines. Good spot to get linebackers too.
Yep, that is the knock on this regime, poor results from drafting in the higher rounds. BUT........saved by picks in the later rounds, and the best example is obviously Purdy.

Imagine if Purdy panned out like the far majority of 7th round QB's, where would we have been last season? How good would we be this coming season?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Overall, I feel like the Niners did WELL in this draft. They weren't all names I would have picked but the logic of what they were doing seemed sound. Got explosive WRs with speed, a HR runner similar to Mostert, a fantastic tackling S, some tough OL whose measurables make sense, a LB with speed and a DT whose specialty is run support. It makes sense given where each is in their development. All of these guys are 5th yr seniors at least with experience and some level of polish to them.
My feeling has always been lean way over to BPA, because these players are for 4 years if not more. We naturally look at the up coming season and then draft on Need.

I'm still not 100% on board with Pearsall even though he'll be a good player in this scheme. Just felt there were other potential Pro Bowl level prospects. I can believe Green, Puni, and Mustapha were our BPA's. Not so sure on Guerendo as BPA at that time, granted his athletic score was outstanding. Cowing seems to be the best value of all the picks?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And in the 8th Round (undrafted free agents), the Niners select:

DT Evan Anderson, FAU
DB Jaylen Mahoney, Vanderbilt
OL Biraason Mays, Southern Miss
QB Tanner Mordecai, Wisconsin
C Drake Nugent, Michigan
WR Terique Owens, Missouri State
TE Mason Pline, Furman
RB Cody Schrader, Missouri

Apparently, we paid Anderson a lot of cash, so he's got at least a realistic shot at the PS.

Nugent will be interesting to see at center considering how weak the team is at that spot.

Schrader, OTOH, could make the team make some hard choices at RB. The guy led the SEC in rushing and it looks like he'll fit out system well.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another of our UDFAs, Mason Pline, is interesting because he was a college basketball player before moving to football. 6'6 260lbs. 49ers have nothing of substance behind Kittle. This guy could surprise us and develop into a receiving threat or he could easily disappear and never be heard from again, lol.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Another of our UDFAs, Mason Pline, is interesting because he was a college basketball player before moving to football. 6'6 260lbs. 49ers have nothing of substance behind Kittle. This guy could surprise us and develop into a receiving threat or he could easily disappear and never be heard from again, lol.
Saw some highlights and he can catch the ball no doubt.

But these highlights didn't show him blocking and we all know how KS uses TE's.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 of the Niner picks getting love for being great value choices:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
2 of the Niner picks getting love for being great value choices:

Looking good and that's the same impression I've been getting from watching Youtube. Seems like Cowing in particular was solid value end of the 4th.

Seems to me all the picks thru Round 4 were our BPA except Pearsall and Guerendo? I've come to think Pearsall wasn't that far off after more 'research'.

The only question i have on Guerrendo is that he wasn't THE back at Louisville, why? I don't get the impression he's a No. 1 RB type? Anyway, we'll see how it goes and I'm certainly not rooting against.