• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is a college "Premiere League" heading towards football?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously, this will take some time as the current tv contracts aren't set to expire for another 10 years or so, but do you see a further movement to reducing the top programs to one giant league? I imagine if they want to make it work earlier, they simply do what the NFL does, create a few conferences within the league, and give a network that conference (Like Fox has with the NFC and CBS with the AFC). I could see the networks loving this arrangement as each network, each week, would have several marque games as opposed to a few marque games total over all networks. Instead of Michigan, Georgia, Ohio State, Alabama, USC, etc. having a few marque games the entire season, they would have 8-9 or more every season.

What's your thoughts? Would you want to see a league like that created? Do you think it's headed that way, or is there just way too much tradition that these conferences would not want to deal with.

The full article can be found here. I just took some screenshots of the main proposal they are making.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-08-28 at 8.25.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-08-28 at 8.25.31 AM.png
    95.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Screen Shot 2023-08-28 at 8.26.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-08-28 at 8.26.02 AM.png
    140.2 KB · Views: 6

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes please. This is what the sport needs. And will ultimately happen.

*only if VT is included. otherwise it is shit and ruining the sport.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes please. This is what the sport needs. And will ultimately happen.

*only if VT is included. otherwise it is shit and ruining the sport.
College football leaves so much money on the table by the weakness of most games each weekend. Let's be honest, just about every top 15 team wins 8-9 games a season the day they scheduled the game, before they ever get on the field. Each Power 5 conference could shed 3-4 teams and it wouldn't do anything but improve that conference. Losses won't matter as much after this season with a 12 team playoff coming, so a tough loss against a great team could actually benefit you, as opposed to a blowout win against an inferior opponent.

Networks are always trying to sell a "turd sandwich" most weekends. If they create an elite league, with just 30-40 members, they could have compelling games every weekend. If I created that league, I would create 6 divisions of 7 teams (42 total teams). You would play 6 games in your division, 4 games outside of your division, and 2 games against anyone you like. If you want to still schedule a home game or two against a lower division team at the start of the season, or as kind of a "bye week" in the middle, then you still have ability to do that. This new league would have a governing body that would schedule the other 4 games outside of your division games.

Playoffs would consist of 6 automatic bids for division winners and 5 at large bids. The lower division teams would play a season ending tournament where the winner of that tournament would get a spot in the college football playoffs. If the NCAA ever decided to move the playoffs to 16 teams (which I think is inevitable), they could then expand it to 48 teams (6 divisions of 8 teams) allowing the lower division teams to prove themselves worthy of a spot in future expansion.

Just my two cents. Right now it's just rough to watch some of these games. I would watch more college football if there weren't so many terrible games on each weekend. I have really fallen in love with the NFL these past few decades. I believe the average margin of victory last year in the NFL was less than 10 points a game, which I believe was its lowest margin in decades. Most top 10 teams last year in college football had an average victory margins of 25+ points.