• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla's Most Storied Program Tournament - (14) Georgia vs. (24) Michigan State

Who has a more storied program?

• 14th seed - Georgia

Votes: 24 68.6%
  • 24th seed - Michigan State

Votes: 11 31.4%

• Total voters

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loser will be eliminated
Winner faces the winner of Penn State vs. UCLA

Will be able to change vote until deadline. Higher seed advances in case of a tie

Bracket

wbqelz.jpg

Penn State vs UCLA thread

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
qzocoz.jpg

This is how the NCAA individual wrestling brackets worked

*A* = The loser between Nebraska vs Ohio State
*B* = The loser between Oklahoma vs Texas
*C* = The loser between Michigan vs Notre Dame
*D* = The loser between USC vs Alabama winner
*E* = The loser of the semifinals on bottom half of bracket
*F* = The loser of the semifinals on top half of bracket
*G* = The loser of "G" match goes for 7th place
*H* = the loser of "H" match goes for 5th place

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I originally voted for Michigan state because I can think of more NFL players from there. However, closer scrutiny, I choose to change my vote to UGA. It is pretty close though.

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan State, from my knowledge, was relevant nationally for about a decade in the mid 50s to mid 60s. After that, it wasn't until Saban came around that they started putting out decent teams again, and Dantonio has brought them back to the age old days of national relevance.

Georgia had a great run in the 80s, they may have had some decent teams before, I don't really know. But ever since Herschel Walker Georgia has almost always been in the discussion for the top programs in the SEC and college football. They have came much closer in the last 25 years to winning a national title than Michigan State, I can tell you that much.

Its close, but I'm giving it to Georgia because of the Between the Hedges, awesome live mascot, and great QB history. Until recently, no one has feared playing in East Lansing. And while Michigan State has more titles, Georgia has been in contention more consistently over the duration of time, especially the modern era of college football.

Tin Man

Loquacious Constituent
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,025.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Georgia's football story starts somewhat spectacularly. UGA's football club participated in the first intercollegiate football game played in the "Old South" - Jan. 30, 1892, defeating their opponent, Mercer. Later that year, in February, Georgia played Auburn for the very first time, winning the first game in what would become the Southeast's longest uninterrupted rivalry (1894-present). The Georgia Bulldogs played their inspiration, Yale in 1927 at New Haven, CT, defeating them 14-10. Yale graciously agreed to play Georgia in the inaugural game at the new Sanford Stadium in 1929. Georgia defeated the collegiate football powerhouse Yale Bulldogs 15 - 0.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan State has twice the NC's that Georgia has.
Went with Michigan State.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say Georgia. 1st to have football in the Deep South. Been part of the SEC since it began. MSU football joined the B1G in 1953. More successful in most categories.

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan State, from my knowledge, was relevant nationally for about a decade in the mid 50s to mid 60s. After that, it wasn't until Saban came around that they started putting out decent teams again, and Dantonio has brought them back to the age old days of national relevance.

Georgia had a great run in the 80s, they may have had some decent teams before, I don't really know. But ever since Herschel Walker Georgia has almost always been in the discussion for the top programs in the SEC and college football. They have came much closer in the last 25 years to winning a national title than Michigan State, I can tell you that much.

Its close, but I'm giving it to Georgia because of the Between the Hedges, awesome live mascot, and great QB history. Until recently, no one has feared playing in East Lansing. And while Michigan State has more titles, Georgia has been in contention more consistently over the duration of time, especially the modern era of college football.
Oh give it a fucking break. That had a few teams under Perles that were just as good as those Saban teams. Saban had 1, that's it, 1 fucking year at MSU where he didn't lose at least 5 games.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Little do you know that, under that Spartan uniform, is an actual person from Sparta...

...Ohio
51179453.SpartaOhio.jpg

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh give it a fucking break. That had a few teams under Perles that were just as good as those Saban teams. Saban had 1, that's it, 1 fucking year at MSU where he didn't lose at least 5 games.
Saban was a mediocre coach at best at Michigan State who demanded to be vastly over paid for having one decent season where he finished third in the conference. MSU didn't want to turn into Notre Dame or Kansas and pay somebody for 5 years to not coach them. It was the right decision at the time.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Saban really? Well here are his year by year win totals @ Michigan State- '95: 6-5-1, '96: 6-6, '97: 7-5, '98: 6-6, '99: 9-2. Saban didn't turn anything around while @ Michigan State.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban really? Well here are his year by year win totals @ Michigan State- '95: 6-5-1, '96: 6-6, '97: 7-5, '98: 6-6, '99: 9-2. Saban didn't turn anything around while @ Michigan State.
Michigan State before Saban
1992 5-6
1993 6-6
1994 5-6

After Saban left
2000 5-6
2001 7-5
2002 4-8
Not really much of a turn around. Again he had one decent year in which he finished 3rd in the conference and was demanding to be paid like he was the best coach. Again, MSU did the right thing at the time and not turn into a Notre Dame or Kansas. And let's face it, Saban would have Saban'd and jumped to any other program that would pay him. The man has no loyalties.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan State before Saban
1992 5-6
1993 6-6
1994 5-6

After Saban left
2000 5-6
2001 7-5
2002 4-8
Not really much of a turn around. Again he had one decent year in which he finished 3rd in the conference and was demanding to be paid like he was the best coach. Again, MSU did the right thing at the time and not turn into a Notre Dame or Kansas. And let's face it, Saban would have Saban'd and jumped to any other program that would pay him. The man has no loyalties.

It's just insane (and wrong) to Saban turned Michigan State around. Hopefully that fella was just kidding around.

Tin Man

Loquacious Constituent
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,025.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban made his deal with the devil in order to escape Miami and return to CFB. Salivating over the prospect of all those Alabama Baptist and Methodist souls, Lucifer got Saban the Bama HC gig. The Indwelling began, and the Great Deceiver has delighted in both fulfilling his promises of glory and dashing the hopes and aspirations of his Vessel and his unwitting minions (Crimson Tide fans). Souls are cosigned to the Lake of Fire for fleeting moments of earthly glory intermingled with bitter disappointments and falls from grace.