• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN's Top 100

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

25. Colt Emerson, SS, Seattle Mariners

Type
: The top post-draft helium name could be a plus hitter with 20 homers at shortstop

I have frank discussions with scouts and execs in the week or two before the draft as things become clear enough that teams know which players they have a chance at, and thus can share their true opinion on guys they can't draft. I didn't see Emerson in the spring and noticed more than a few scouts asking me if I saw him to solicit my opinion. I didn't think much of it until the third time I was asked and that scout revealed (because his team was out of position) that Emerson was his pick to click in the class and he believed he would be the one to emerge from a muddled group of prep hitters that I ranked 16th through 45thand was shuffling all spring. I circled back to the first two scouts and they more or less agreed; I had already locked my rankings at this point, so it was just something to have in my back pocket.

The 2024 fantasy baseball season is here! Get the gang back together, or start a brand new tradition.
Join or start a league for free >>

The Mariners scooped up Emerson with the 22nd overall pick (about where he was expected to go) and in 24 pro games after signing, he hit .374/.496/.550, mostly at Low-A and just after turning 18 years old. I checked in with some sources who don't work for Seattle to see if the buzz matched the numbers and these scouts were doing cartwheels through the phone. I looked at the TrackMan data, and it's excellent as well.

At draft time, Emerson was an average runner with a shot to stick at shortstop, average power potential and a 55-grade hit tool. Now it's looking more like a plus hit tool with plus pitch selection and a notch more power, which might not sound like much but shoots him to the top of a tightly packed group. The industry already seems to be universally sold on Emerson being the real deal, so there's a chance he could zoom through the minors; keep an eye on him out of the gates this spring.

38. Cole Young, SS, Seattle Mariners

Type
: Plus hitter who might slide over to second base with average other tools

Young part of a group of recent prep position picks who have turned into arrow-up prospects with the Mariners, joining 2023 first-rounder Colt Emerson and 2021 picks Harry Ford and Edwin Arroyo. That's one reason why I'm betting at least one of the other 2023 picks in this demographic (Jonny Farmelo, Tai Peete, Aidan Smith) will also shoot up boards in the coming years. Young is probably the lowest upside player of the group, but still projects as an everyday player -- in the mold of Brooks Lee, who is ranked a few spots ahead of him on this list.

Young is fine defensively at shortstop but might move to second base before he gets to the big leagues, as that's his best spot long term. At the plate, Young is a plus hitter with plus pitch selection and average raw power that he has a feel for getting to in games. He should open 2024 in Double-A and has a chance to be a factor in the majors late in the 2024 season if he keeps hitting like this.

52. Harry Ford, C, Seattle Mariners

Type
: Unique prospect has plus power, patience, and speed and might be a catcher

Ford has a number of unique qualities. He's a plus runner, a catcher, and I once described him as looking like a yoga instructor who was also into powerlifting. He's also potentially the first African American regular catcher since Charles Johnson almost 20 years ago. Ford was born to English immigrants and played for Great Britain in the World Baseball Classic. Lastly, Ford also is among the best in all of the minors leagues at pitch selection, a plus-plus skill.

He made a positive swing change (but also tinkered a little too much) after a solid summer showcase season into a strong draft spring, going 12th overall to the Mariners. He's still tracking like he'll be a catcher, but would fit in all three outfield spots and maybe a few spots on the infield if it doesn't work out behind the plate. He offers above-average in-game power, fringe-to-average contact rates, and a strong OBP that, along with his baserunning value, would make him a regular at any spot on the field.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Emerson is eventually going to be a big guy, too. He's 6'1, 195 right now and looks pretty skinny being 18 and all.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we get to see him grow as a Mariner.
He will. He, Ford and Young are “untouchable”. Everything I’ve heard is Jerry soured on Gabby Gonzalez which is the only reason he was made available.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will. He, Ford and Young are “untouchable”. Everything I’ve heard is Jerry soured on Gabby Gonzalez which is the only reason he was made available.
I wish Could believe you but if someone comes along and twirls something shinny in front of Jerry he will bite.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish Could believe you but if someone comes along and twirls something shinny in front of Jerry he will bite.
Generally I’d agree with you, but Ford has been untouchable for the past 3 trades seasons. And no one thinks Ford is better than Young or Emerson. Outside of Jackson Holliday, I don’t think there is a person Jerry would trade Young or Emerson for. He wouldn’t include Miller or Woo to get Arozorena with Raley or Polanco and Kepler so who else is there? Cease and Robert maybe I guess.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Generally I’d agree with you, but Ford has been untouchable for the past 3 trades seasons. And no one thinks Ford is better than Young or Emerson. Outside of Jackson Holliday, I don’t think there is a person Jerry would trade Young or Emerson for. He wouldn’t include Miller or Woo to get Arozorena with Raley or Polanco and Kepler so who else is there? Cease and Robert maybe I guess.
We shall see.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After this offseason...
And it's been a good one.
In comparison..
There will likely be verry few.
Trades from .the minors
And as you can see .Jedi.

Traded none of his pitchers.
And no.big..prospects.
Either..
And as the Twinns fans have.said...gonzales.is.
Over rated. That is why.
Jedi soured on him..
And traded him.
With better .outfields behind him...

It's relativity..in comparison..to who

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no doubt..

Johnny farmelo.
Lazaro.montes..
Aiden Smith .

Will outclass..Gonzales .
But gonzales.is ok..
For what he can do..

And being behind Jonaton.clase did not help.
Either .

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And mariners are going to run..those outfields up.
The ladder..just as fast.
As they..can..

So they can fit more .
At modesto .after this year's draft ..

And owners want the best.
They can get .
So they never have to actually...pay any of them.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baltimore is doeing the same..thing only .
They have hitters.not pitchers..
And Seattles hitters .
Are..AA .away..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Active total.payroll..
124,158,ooo...mil.
Projected .132 . mil.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be keeping a close eye on Tyler Locklear and see how he performs in AA. He crushed it in A+ and now he will start the season in AA. If he crushes it at that level then he could be looked at to play 1st base/DH

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also another guy almost nobody mentions is Alberto Rodriguez (OF). He is never in any prospect rankings but looking at what he has done in every level of the minor leagues he has hit for average and done very well behind the plate. He was promoted to AA last year and in 178ABs he held his own slashing .291 3 homers and 27 RBIs. Personally I am not the biggest fan of hype when players when drafted high and there is talk about how great they can be after only 90 ABs (Colt Emerson) at the lowest level of the minors.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oops wrong thread

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be keeping a close eye on Tyler Locklear and see how he performs in AA. He crushed it in A+ and now he will start the season in AA. If he crushes it at that level then he could be looked at to play 1st base/DH
Everywhere I have seen is he is the first guy called up. Berroa and him were the only guys, outside of maybe a September call up from Young, that were legitimate prospects who would be on the big clubs.